Thread: Afraid of losing a finger while woodworking? MIT has a robot for you...

Afraid of losing a finger while woodworking? MIT has a robot for you...

Furniture builders/designers beware.... the kids at MIT just made robots that will make every cut for you. Maybe this is the ultimate sawstop system! And it looks like CNC is yesterday's news....

https://www.engadget.com/2018/02/28/...tom-furniture/

https://www.engadget.com/2018/02/28/...tom-furniture/

Blog Entries
    What a crack-up; I love the Roomba router
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Great find. Every now and then I'm glad I'm 70 not 20. Wait, no I'm not.....
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

What a spectacular demonstration of just how artificial "artificial intelligence" is.

I can't wait - no more Sawstop discussions once they finish the development, then it will be all robot discussions!

I want to see the sharpening robot.......

I'm with Bob. I want to see the shop monkey aka "apprentice" robot. Sharpens and cleans up. Doubling as a power feeder and/or infeed/outfeed support is okay as well.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Wonderful. All those human skills replaced by robots who require... oh yes, human skills to repair them. Had the delight of keeping robots operating in harsh environments? Seen the cost of on site repairs? They keep telling us it will all get better with more development. I'm still waiting. In the meantime, I'll keep working on my new library shelving without robot assistance. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I can't wait - no more Sawstop discussions once they finish the development, then it will be all robot discussions!
    Wait a minute. Even mentioning no more SawStop discussions could start another round of debate! (That topic never fails to create forum traffic!)

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Lomman View Post
    Wonderful. All those human skills replaced by robots who require... oh yes, human skills to repair them.
    Nah, they'll just build robot repair robots.

Getting a little too close to 'Matrix, meet Terminator' to me...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

As I said, I'm still waiting. I have been using robots off and on for 20 years and still no repair bots. There do seem to be plenty of highway robbers disguised as repair technicians however. All the promos are shot in pristine working conditions. I want to see reliability in a harsh environment. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Having worked in the CNC world I can gaurantee writing software to do simple human tasks with a CNC machine or robot can be very complicated. For example the simple task of avoiding a knot in the board would make this demo very complex.

Great learning experience for the students. Hats off to them.

What I need is a robot to get that skunk out from under the shed.