Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chipped router bit: opinions?

Chipped router bit: opinions?

I chipped my Eagle America 154-0805 1/2" cove bit this morning. I was cutting a small quantity of pine and red oak. I'm pretty certain that I hit nothing but wood.

BitA.jpg BitB.jpg

The bit still cuts okay, but I suspect I should discard it. Agree or disagree?

Also, I'm inclined to chalk it up to bad luck rather than pursue it with Eagle America. Agree or disagree? I'm kind of busy to spend a lot of time on it.

Thanks in advance for any input.

I would carefully look at it ,if there are no cracks or damage beyond that chip ,would continue to use it.

I wouldn't bother going back to the seller. Bits get dinged. They're expendable.

But I'd replace the bit. The chip has removed part of the cutting edge. You'll get a strip along anything you attempt to cut with that part of the edge.

I would keep using it, unless you see other damage. There are 2 cutting surfaces on that bit. If you see it making strips or lines from the chip, then I would discard

I wonder about balance, would that missing piece be enough to cause a vibration? If so that wouldn't do the router's bearings any favors.

You won't get warranty. Unless it is enough to unbalance it, keep using it. If it leaves a line, get it sharpened out or replace it. This is likely the result of an unnoticed hit on something hard while it was stationary. Cheers

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't want to deal with the vibration. Eagle USA made bits are Whiteside bits. I had a Whiteside bit fail BUT, there was a pretty obvious snowflake in the casting. I sent it to them just to be a whatta-guy and help them with their QC. they sent me a new bit that I wasn't even expecting.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Eagle USA made bits are Whiteside bits.
    Interesting, how did you find this out? Are they still made by Whitside since MLCS now owns Eagle America?
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    Interesting, how did you find this out? Are they still made by Whitside since MLCS now owns Eagle America?
    I believe this was mentioned in a Fine Woodworking review where Whiteside and Eagle America unsurprisingly tested equally. This was a few years ago. although Eagle now sells "Eagle" bits and MLCS bits I am not sure if Eagle's USA made bits are still Whiteside or not so I probably should have said "were once" instead of "are". This is a good question as the prices used to be within a few cents of each other but, now seem farther apart (?). I believe Klingspor's Woodworking Shop is selling re-branded Whiteside bits now as well. You'll notice the bit model numbers on the shanks (and the prices) match.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-28-2018 at 7:40 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I didn't check the Eagle catalog, but Whiteside only makes/made their high end bits. I don't know where the others are made. The last time I looked, they had several price point levels.

I personally wouldn't continue to use the bit with a chip out like that. It's going to be unbalanced and even if only a little bit (pardon the expression) it could have an impact on cut quality overall and for sure in that one spot where only one cutting surface is engaging the material.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If it wasn't chipped on both edges and still cut a cove, I wouldn't even think twice. Really, what do you think could happen?

To be safe, I'd throw it out. If the metal has a fault or is fatigued, when does the next piece fall off? Where does it go?

Here's my take: if it chipped just from cutting wood, I do believe there is a problem with the bit. Toss it!

Call them and see what they say. You never know, they might just send you another. Lee Valley probably would.