Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone familiar with Gordon Lightfoot or Julie Collins/Steven Stills?

Anyone familiar with Gordon Lightfoot or Julie Collins/Steven Stills?

A small hall near me will have them in June.
    They are all in their 70s. I loved them 40 years ago, but that was a long time ago.
    Anyone know if they can still sing? Don't want to blow $120 on seeing old people who sound like my dog.

I saw JC in 1980 and she was terrible.
    A girl friend insisted on seeing her in 1985 and she was great. She said she had giving up smoking and gotten her voice back.
    But that was 33 years ago!

I know this is a woodworking forum, but I figure there are a lot of old men here who probably liked that kind of music and might know.

Gordon Lightfoot had several hits in the late 70s. Sundown was one and The Edmund Fitzgerald was the other. I had several of his albums on 33 rpms. I saw him on a televised special a few years ago. Age had affected him but it does to all of us.

Steven Stills might be interesting but I haven't seen him on TV in quite awhile.

It sounds like a folk music evening to me. I'd go.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 02-27-2018 at 8:05 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

saw Gordon Lightfoot for free a day or two before his first hit was released. Still love Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. Can't help you otherwise. Friends paid through the nose to see Davy Jones about six months before he passed. They paid a lot to say the saw him. i understand his voice was gone. Heck I bought tickets to see Elvis, gave them to my ex-wife for our anniversary and the guy had the audacity to die the very next day.

I did see a bunch of older country and Western singers. I was very surprised that they could still belt them out. Kitty Wells, Tom T Hall, Marty Robbins, Kitty had to be sort of propped up at the microphone and still sang like she was 30 yrs old.

Gordon is worth seeing even if his voice has changed. Listen to his music on Amazon Prime all the time.

Valid concern Wade. I saw Paul McCartney on TV for the 50th anniversary of the Beatles in America. I felt very sad for him because (IMO) he just didn't have it any more. Everybody gets old, if they're lucky. It's just hard to watch it happen to an icon like Sir Paul.

I wonder if you could google reviews or recent utubes to see if those performers are still kickin butt (or not)?

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I like Gordon's music and still think he sounds pretty good.... an interesting tidbit....he grew up in a small town about 20 minutes north of where I live. When my dad was young and single he worked for the railroad and rented a room in the Lightfoot's house and babysat Gordon as needed when his parents went out for the evening....
    Last edited by Barry McFadden; 02-28-2018 at 9:18 AM.

Geeze Louise- 5 replies and almost 2 hours and no one has corrected this to point out that it's JUDY Collins?

The subject of Crosby Stills and Nash's huge hit: Suite: Judy Blue Eyes.

All three of these people are music legends. Go see them before it's too late. Of course they will have lost a step! So have you! If they weren't a big part of your life 40 years ago, then let it pass. If they were, then go and enjoy the memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I know this is a woodworking forum, but I figure there are a lot of old men here who probably liked that kind of music and might know.
    Actually, this kind of tells me that you have no passion re this time and these performers. If that's the case, I would pass and spend your money on a current performer at the top of their game.

Lyle Lovett perhaps? One of my personal favs. Seen him live 4 times and this summer might be #5.

Hell, I'd go see them. And of course the won't sound the same. But still ok I bet. And if Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen are ever around your area you'll never see a better show.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Loretta Lynn came here about 10 years ago. I was sorry I went to see her. Kinda ruined my memories.

My wife and I saw him a couple of years ago --- he's being careful of his voice and exertions --- "The Canadian Railroad Trilogy" is only performed every other show (unfortunately the Hershey performance was an off one) and I feel that his voice and music are well-suited and have aged well. Sadly Terry Clements passed away, but the young man who was playing his guitar parts, Carter Lancaster?, was amazingly talented, and had a real feel for the music.

I've been considering going to his upcoming show in State College in hope of catching the trilogy.

Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young were big about the time I was in Vietnam. I have good memories of listening to their album "Deja Vu" while barely coherent. I'd go to see them.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Of course I would go see Gordon Lightfoot.

If I didn't the government would cancel my passport

They won't be the same as they were 40 years ago, however neither are we. Regards, Rod.

I don't know how their voices are holding up but knowing the songs I'd probably go anyway.

We saw Simon and Garfunkel in Atlanta when they were 60-something and it was wonderful just being there and hearing the familiar songs, but their voices were excellent.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    ...I saw Paul McCartney on TV for the 50th anniversary of the Beatles in America. I felt very sad for him because (IMO) he just didn't have it any more. ...
    But did you see Ringo? The guy never ages - still recording albums at 77!

JKJ