Thread: Moravian Bench Build

Moravian Bench Build

The last Moravian bench I built ended up becoming my sharpening bench. Our Fall RV trip to the PNW isn't too far in the future and I need a traveling bench for the trip. The woodstore had some 12/4 Poplar in stock at a fair price for the desert so it will be the base wood. I also picked up a small piece of 8/4 Poplar for the short cross stretchers. They are rough cut. The 12/4 stock is marked for rough cutting to size for the legs and long stretchers. The woodstore was short on 8/4 Beech for the slab, it will require a return trip.

A photo of the Poplar, even Poplar is a heavy sucker once it gets 12/4 thick.

moravianBenchStock180227dscf2408.jpg

ken

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    The last Moravian bench I built ended up becoming my sharpening bench. Our Fall RV trip to the PNW isn't too far in the future and I need a traveling bench for the trip. The woodstore had some 12/4 Poplar in stock at a fair price for the desert so it will be the base wood. I also picked up a small piece of 8/4 Poplar for the short cross stretchers. They are rough cut. The 12/4 stock is marked for rough cutting to size for the legs and long stretchers. The woodstore was short on 8/4 Beech for the slab, it will require a return trip.

A photo of the Poplar, even Poplar is a heavy sucker once it gets 12/4 thick.

moravianBenchStock180227dscf2408.jpg

ken
    Sounds like fun! What big changes do you have in mind? Maybe trying to reduce weight a bit? What didn't you like about last years model?

I just finished breaking down the 12/4 Poplar stock. Working in a one man shop the handling of the timber ain't easy on the back and I'm nowhere as strong as I once was...

In the pile are 6 short stretchers, 4 legs, and 2 long stretchers:

moravianBenchStockBrokenDown180227dscf2411.jpg

I'll begin getting to working dimensions either tonight after work or tomorrow morning. We are talking about taking the motorhome to Mexico for the weekend so the start on the bench may be a little slow.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Sounds like fun! What big changes do you have in mind? Maybe trying to reduce weight a bit? What didn't you like about last years model?
    Pat,

No big changes other than the base wood and the fact the other bench was a prototype. I expect this build will be a little cleaner. Weight will probably be a little heavier because the Poplar is heavier than the DF. Really wasn't anything I didn't like, it worked as advertised but I needed a new sharpening bench and it fit perfectly in that slot.

ken

Take it as it comes Ken, no races for bench building on the schedule as I recall. BTW, I just returned from a desert trip myself and look forward to some upcoming warmer weather to get back in the shop. Thaks for sharing.
    David

Your statement " ...had some 12/4 Poplar in stock at a fair price for the desert ..."

evoked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXpx21Uf7hs

And to be clear, not any statement about your character Ken, merely your geography
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Take it as it comes Ken, no races for bench building on the schedule as I recall. BTW, I just returned from a desert trip myself and look forward to some upcoming warmer weather to get back in the shop. Thaks for sharing.
    David,

This year I'm starting the build early so there is no rush to finish from time constraints....my own tunnel vision is another story . West Texas or out my way? There is always room and a whisky for fellow travelers in Casa Chaos.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    Your statement " ...had some 12/4 Poplar in stock at a fair price for the desert ..."

evoked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXpx21Uf7hs

And to be clear, not any statement about your character Ken, merely your geography
    Chris, Damn I've been busted. Gotta pay for the wood some way.

ken

I was thinking the other way around--that in the desert, you're getting taken for what you've got! Looking forward to seeing the rest of build and testing.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

I spent the day marking out the base. Towards the end of the day I started making mistakes now the question is do I plane the bad marks away or just "X" 'em out.

Because of the angled legs the some of the parts are not interchangeable so even with machine finished stock everything should pair up. Tomorrow I will start the joinery.

Photos once there is something other than hunks of Poplar with knife and pencil marks.

ken

Before MsBubba reminded me I had promised to pull wire to the back garden today I was making good progress on the bench's leg mortises. Not much more will be done today, after a day of pulling wire my back is talking to me and the whisky is answering.

If I can find a full day in the shop I can finish the base but I'm not sure when that will happen between work and the Grandpeanut coming to Tucson mid month. Anyway here is a photo of a couple of the legs:

moravianBenchLegMortises180304dscf2412.jpg

ken