Thread: Mobile bench, vise

Blog Entries

Mobile bench, vise

I am in the process of moving. The plans for where my shop will be located have changed several times. I am currently thinking about doing an addition to the new home, so I can have “the shop I have always wanted”.

In the interim I am working on a mobile bench which I eventually plan to use as an outfeed table, adjustable height bench, with changeable work surfaces (plastic, MDF, rubber...). My tools are increasingly at the new location, but I still have a project or two to finish at the new home.

78E45F2A-6186-4F12-B9B8-C4E9FC1F91C6.jpg

I need some kind of vise on the mobile bench, so I can work on the remaining projects. I have an “old style” LV tail vise/screw. I am trying to figure out how best to use it to make a vise on the end of the 6’ x 22” top I am making.

275FF27B-23E6-464C-9690-00D62F785A8D.jpg

Looking for suggestions. I use LV “Planing Stops” and homemade planing stops made with LV Bench Anchors to plane against. I am thinking about a 4-6 inch slidding block that could hold two dogs, if possible. I believe I could make a serviceable wagon vise as well. Unlike the small screws on my small Hammer bench this larger threaded screw seems to adjust PDQ.

I plan to use this bench to make a larger heavier Roubo bench in the future. Like others have commented in other threads I am working up to a “better” bench. My immediate needs are working raised pannels, half laps, joinery....
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 02-27-2018 at 11:33 AM.

Mike, It’s been awhile since I looked at that type of screw and my memory could be off, but I think you reverse the one part on the shaft and then attach the wagon vise to it.

Does that make sense or is my memory in error?

Blog Entries
    Like this...

939E477F-42BF-4206-95D3-84A521754CE1.jpg

This orientation may work better, thanks for the suggestion. The screw holes in the movable piece may not be visible but, the screw recesses/places for screw heads are facing the handle now. My main worry is that using the screw handle will cause a wood jaw, attached to the moving piece to jump around in use. I can place wood guides below the table but not sure if this will hold the jaw firmly in place? I have seen YouTube videos where guys have made “keepers”, on the far end of the screw, to help hold things in place.

Perhaps you could use a UHMW block at the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Holbrook View Post
    Like this...

939E477F-42BF-4206-95D3-84A521754CE1.jpg

This orientation may work better, thanks for the suggestion. The screw holes in the movable piece may not be visible but, the screw recesses/places for screw heads are facing the handle now. My main worry is that using the screw handle will cause a wood jaw, attached to the moving piece to jump around in use. I can place wood guides below the table but not sure if this will hold the jaw firmly in place? I have seen YouTube videos where guys have made “keepers”, on the far end of the screw, to help hold things in place.

If you reverse it like that use long through bolts, not screws. The screw threads will likely pull out over time since the stress is in the wrong direction.\

Not a huge fan of the wagon vise, but they are simple to make. I do recommend making the screw end "housed" in a hole the same diameter as the screw shaft. Makes everything line up consistently and stay that way over time.
    Making furniture teaches us new ways to remove splinters.

Have you considered buying a Workmate? They're surprisingly versatile. Mine are worn yard sale wonders, and I can still do a lot.

Nothing is more "mobile" than a step ladder....
    SDC15827.jpg
    This helped build the bench for the Dungeon Shop...and the Saw bench...
    SDC15793.jpg
    Clamps can hold things in about any direction...Horizontal...or...
    SDC15794.jpg
    Vertical. Just need the ladder, and a 2x plank.
    SDC15782.jpg
    Can be set up about anywhere....then fold things down, toss in the back of the truck, and off to the next job.

I have a blum workbench, which is surprisingly capable.
    It uses pipe clamps (which work, and are cheap but messy).
    The leg configuration is really rigid--the bench racks less than a full size Sjoberg.

Another option is to use Festool type clamps in a 3/4 hole like the MFT.

btw, please post pictures of your bench when you're done!

Blog Entries
    I found a You Tube video which shows how to make what I had in mind. Tom Fidgen “Installing a Nicholson Style Vice”. The wood guide may not be the best way to hold the jaws straight. I do have dried hickory and other hard woods to make the end of the bench, guide and jaws from. I have a set of metal Toughbuilt C700 Sawhorses/Jobsite Table, that I use for construction projects, which the project above is sitting on. The C700s are designed to hold a couple 2x4s which a sheet of plywood can make into a table.....

Looks like I should be able to design the vise such that there is a large space between the guide and screw. Then I should be able to position two dogs on top of the vice jaw, allowing me to clamp large objects, either between the screw and guide or two rows of dog holes.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 03-06-2018 at 2:43 PM.