Thread: Piano Pen Box

Piano Pen Box

This is my entry into the 2018 IAP Bash Pen Box Contest. It is a replica of a Grand Piano. It is a combination pen box and music box. The box was constructed using various tools and jigs. The interior is finished in a Cardinal Red flocking. The keys were cut from pieces of white and black acrylic pen blanks.There is a brass plate behind the keys. The top has a clear plexiglass insert in the center to show off both the pen and also the musical movement that plays Elvis' "Love Me Tender" theme. It plays when the box is open and shuts off when closed as most music boxes do. There are musical themed decals on the top of the glass to enhance it. The box was finished in black lacquer. This was a fun little box for that special pen. Hope you like it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John T.

I love miniatures and have made several myself. Yours are truly wonderful - not at all like the mass produced miniature pianos for sale on the internet. Until someone makes a piece like this, they have no idea how difficult it really is. Congrats on a great job.

Here's one of mine - copy of a Steinway concert grand. The music plays when you press down the keys, and stops when you take your fingers off.

PIANO MODEL.jpg
    "A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths."
    -Steven Wright.

Now that is over the top. Way more elaborate than mine. I thought about all the flip lid thing and the music holder but chose to keep more subtle and I was trying to place a pen in it. It did not win anyway. Came in second. Not sure people know what they are looking at. Does take alot of work, many jigs, and some thinking outside the box. Love to see some of your other work too if you have done more miniatures.
    John T.

Quote Originally Posted by John Terefenko View Post
    Now that is over the top. Way more elaborate than mine. I thought about all the flip lid thing and the music holder but chose to keep more subtle and I was trying to place a pen in it. It did not win anyway. Came in second. Not sure people know what they are looking at. Does take alot of work, many jigs, and some thinking outside the box. Love to see some of your other work too if you have done more miniatures.
    You're so right - most folks don't realize the work that goes into one of these. Early in my career as a harpsichord builder, someone offered me $500.00 for a full sized, working harpsichord that eventually sold for $14,000.00. I'm convinced he wasn't trying to snatch a real bargain - he just didn't know any better.

It looks to me like your music box is much smaller than mine, which is 19" long. The smaller it is, the harder it is to build, and I again congratulate you for your build. I've only done one piano music box - the rest are harpsichords. The piano was by far the most difficult to build - especially the "iron" plate suspended over the soundboard. Anyway, here's a couple of others.

FRENCHMODEL.jpg
    white.jpg
    Ernie
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 02-27-2018 at 9:22 AM. Reason: fixed quote tagging
    -Steven Wright.

Oh my Ernie. You are way out of my league. Those are fantastic. The detail is what makes them stand out ahead of others. I believe I picked up this trait from my Dad. As a family we were not rich in money so toys were not easy to come by. He made a doll house for my sister and made all the furniture to go in it. I marveled back then of his detail and boy somewhere in there something stuck with me. Thanks for showing your works of art.
    John T.

OMG - you people are scary. Fantastic pieces!

Is it OCD or just an intense attention to minute detail?

Both of you guys are incredible and so are your projects!

I bow down to you!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Is it OCD or just an intense attention to minute detail?

Both of you guys are incredible and so are your projects!

I bow down to you!
    I won't speak for John, but for me it's the challenge. It also helps to be a little nutz!
    -Steven Wright.

Beautiful! What is the scale/size?

For years I've been wanting to make a miniature of my piano - a 7' baldwin. I would like to size it to fit a music box movement I have that plays a Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody #2, but that movement is at least six inches long.

All those in this thread are inspiring.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Beautiful! What is the scale/size?

For years I've been wanting to make a miniature of my piano - a 7' baldwin. I would like to size it to fit a music box movement I have that plays a Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody #2, but that movement is at least six inches long.

All those in this thread are inspiring.

JKJ
    My grand piano miniature is 19" long x 11" wide. I'm not sure, but I think John's is smaller, which makes it all the more impressive. I'm sure he'll chime in with some dimensions.

Ernie
    -Steven Wright.

Both of you do amazing work that I would never attempt.

John you had my vote but I could only vote once. You know me on the IAP as Curly.

Hello Pete. Yea would not have recognized the name. So use to sign-on handles. Thanks for your vote. I maybe should have wrote a novel for the description and would have had a better chance of winning.

My box is 7" wide by 8-3/4" long and stands 3-3/4" tall with lid closed. My box was made with the intent to place on a desk and house a special pen that has meaning to the owner. I will be making the pen for this box. Right now I have 2 different ideas for it but I need to master a technique before I can attempt it. I am practicing with it. I still need to make the pen for my Billiard table pen box I made last year. May make a simple wood box next year for the contest and use some burl wood. Seems that what people like to see.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Does mean alot. As I said Ernie is way ahead of my scale and he does some fantastic work. I enjoy looking at things like this and yes as Ernie said I did it for the pleasure of doing something outside the comfort zone and testing the abilities. I have one project in mind that I need to figure out some mechanical stuff if I want to pull it off. Stay tuned.
    John T.

Every time I see examples like these I realize I'm not a woodworker but a not too talented hobbyist. They are just incredible.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 03-09-2018 at 7:18 AM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

You my friend are an artist! Very Nice!

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Glad you liked it.
    John T.