Thread: Bearing type dovetail bits for Leigh D4 jig?

Bearing type dovetail bits for Leigh D4 jig?

Just purchased a used Leigh D4 dovetail jig and will need to get some router bits to use with it. In doing some on line research, it looks like the Leigh bits are very good and Whiteside very similar. But I also,saw a comment about avoiding the possible problems with guide bushings by using bearing guided bits, but don’t know if there are bits of this type that would work on the D4. Anyone have any guidence on this topic?

I use a set of 8mm Jessada Leigh D4 bits with mine and a guide bushing. I've not heard the suggestion about using bearing guided bits with the jig, but I don't pay much attention to that kind of thing since I rarely use the jig. (The Leigh bits that came with the jig seem to be very good quality, too)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

In my limited experience, I found that I needed to use the Leigh E7 adjustable guide bushing for the best fit with my D4. The guide bushing is slightly elliptical and can be rotated slightly to adjust for a proper fit. I don't have experience with guide bearing bits for this application, but think they wouldn't allow for the adjustability. I have typically used 8mm shank bits and Whiteside have been excellent. It fits in a typical Porter Cable style bushing adapter. Leigh has an informative video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFv-3XkdY0I. Although it is for a different jig, the principal is the same.

Leigh bushing.jpg
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 02-27-2018 at 3:31 PM. Reason: added photo
    Dick Mahany.

Blog Entries
    I don't remember the last time I used mine. I will have to learn how to use it if I want to.
    Besides that, Harvey has mis-located my tools.