Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good Square, Reasonable Cost

Good Square, Reasonable Cost

I'm looking for a good square, 18-24", like the Woodpeckers one shown below..
    I just don't want to spend THAT much on a square.

Ideas?square.jpg

Blog Entries
    Howdy Joe,

We are in the same boat only my desire is for one that is ~12" from the edge of the stock to the end of the blade.

Squares of this size do not show up often enough for me to purchase one through ebay.

Most of my squares have been bought second hand.

It seems for me to acquire a square of this size, making my own will be the best or least expensive option.

One suggestion from another member was to use a framing square and install some wooden scales. This would work, but wouldn't meet my desires.

My guess is like me, you want the good looks without the price.

So far in my venture a couple nice pieces of ebony have been bought for the stock.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Woodpeckers charges an awful lot for that red anodizing, and you're winding up with an aluminum tool.

If Lee Valley's $80 carpenter's square, which is made to pretty tight tolerances (http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...936,42944&ap=1) is too rich, look on Amazon for "framing square," and take your pick (Starrett's is just $15 - https://www.amazon.com/Starrett-RS-2...framing+square) and learn how to test and correct any out of square condition.

I don't want a framing square, but a large try-square I guess. I want accuracy and durability. 24' is probably too big, now that I think about it 12-18 is probably better for the shop.

Still looking.

Just for reference...the 1281 is on sale right now for $110...and you get a "free" mini square...that's a savings of about $50. Almost makes me want to buy it. I have the 681 and like it very much.

I don’t think they have larger than 12” but the combo squares from Harry Eppstein are very well priced and well made from what I hear.

You can get a large machinist's square from Lee Valley for a very decent price.
    http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...936,42941&ap=1

These are relatively cheap, and excellent...they even take quite a few dings and maintain their accuracy - speaking from experience here.

Blog Entries
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 02-26-2018 at 6:23 PM.

So do I. Got it at Menards long ago, except it was so long ago it cost $1. It was very close to my Starrett, so a little filing and adjusting made it just right.
    Last edited by Bruce Haugen; 02-26-2018 at 6:44 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    I don’t think they have larger than 12” but the combo squares from Harry Eppstein are very well priced and well made from what I hear.
    I bought a PEC 24" blade for my combo square which covers 18" with ease. Stores easily out of the way when not in use and comes in very handy when I want it.

Combo sq long blade (1).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Joe O'Leary View Post

Ideas?
    Perhaps you merely need to adjust your perspective about what is truly "expensive".

Sorry, I had to go back to that well again.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe O'Leary View Post

Ideas?square.jpg
    Curious why you need such a large square that a plain old framing square won't do the job?

Quote Originally Posted by Hasin Haroon View Post
    You can get a large machinist's square from Lee Valley for a very decent price.
    http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...936,42941&ap=1

These are relatively cheap, and excellent...they even take quite a few dings and maintain their accuracy - speaking from experience here.
    They also sell Shinwa-made Aluminum+steel squares here. My 12" square is easily within 0.001" over the first 6" (checked against my 6" Starett master square, which is spec'd to 0.0001" per 6").

I also have a 12" Starrett 3020 (their "budget" line, only spec'd to 0.0002" per 6"), but for woodworking I invariably use the Shinwa as it's good enough and I really don't want to drop a "good" square.

FWIW Woodpecker's accuracy spec corresponds to 0.001" per 6". That's a tighter spec than LV claims for the Shinwa, but as noted above my sample is within the Woodpecker's spec.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 02-26-2018 at 8:01 PM.

Whoa!!! Everything IS relative! Those WP squares are looking more reasonable now .
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    Perhaps you merely need to adjust your perspective about what is truly "expensive".

Sorry, I had to go back to that well again.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I bought a PEC 24" blade for my combo square which covers 18" with ease. Stores easily out of the way when not in use and comes in very handy when I want it.

Combo sq long blade (1).jpg
    Exactly what I did for my Starrett. It is as accurate as I could ever need.