Thread: bandsawbox-undecided on finish?

bandsawbox-undecided on finish?

I recently glued up a mess of clear pine shorts into a beautiful block with varied end grain patterns. I decided to make it into a band-saw-box for my niece and I am pleased on how it turned out with the grain effect being exactly what I was trying for.

The problem .... part way through I dropped the box and had to surgical apply glue repair, I'll not repeat what was said at the time ..... in any case the resulting repair gave me one glue joint on the side that stands out, the dark grey line across the light pine (see pic).

So a change in plan for finish is required as I need to disguise the crack repair.

I have a request for purple in the box as its a favorite color of my niece and I am trying to figure how I could best incorporate that color.

I have brown flocking and various brown finishes so I am thinking a rubbed brown stain on the carcass which hopefully will disguise the glue joint, brown flocking inside drawers, and, here is the kicker, perhaps a rubbed purple on the drawers. I have not decided on the drawer handles. I tried the rubbed brown finish on scrap and it highlights the grain nicely, just not sure about the purple in combination. I was thinking of drawer pulls in the same color as the carcass.

Any good color designers out there? suggestion on what color you would incorporate with purple but keep grain highlighted and use either red, green or brown flocking inside the drawers??
    I have until Friday to get his finished.
    Attached Images Attached Images

What an interesting box! I love the grain patterns. It looks like a character from the Disney "Beauty and the Beast" movie!

Personally, I would look to accentuate the grain as much as possible when you finish it. If it were in my shop, I would probably buy some TransTint dye (they have dozens of colors including purple) and add a few drops to some hand-mixed shellac. If you mix up small batches in mason jars, you can use as many colors as you like! You can put on the first few coats using thinned shellac to seal the wood and fine tune the depth of the colors. Then finish it with a couple of coats of thicker shellac to build a nice finish. The bonus is that it will allow the beautiful grain to show through.

As for the repair? I wouldn't worry about it. As much grain as this box has going on - I wouldn't have even noticed it if you hadn't pointed it out.

Nice work!
    TedP