Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portable Table Design Ideas

Portable Table Design Ideas

A friend has asked me to build a portable table that will be used as an extension to their dining table for large gatherings. The table would be stored in the basement when not being used. He would like seating for two on each side and one at the end.

His suggestion is to use the same hardware that is used in a card table. I believe that card table hardware wouldn’t be strong enough to support a solid wood table.

Do you have any suggestions as to hardware and design of a portable table?

Thanks - Frank

You could do something like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-SxsnG7CLc

This is what we use. It take a little more time than a card table to set up but it's strong enough for three or four. It's made from the same material and the same style as the main table.

Incidentally, while the legs get stored away, the top stays in the kitchen as a cover for the pastry board.

Hmm.. Your friend wants a table that can be easily carried downstairs for storage. You want to build something heavy. Maybe you two should talk a bit about those opposing ideas.

If card-table hardware doesn't make you happy, you might consider legs intended for folding table, like these -- https://woodworker.com/heavy-duty-fo...su-103-028.asp . They're probably a little heavier than card table legs, but they should be considerably sturdier.

I don't want to make anything heavy. One of his requirements is that the extension is solid. I have explaned to him that he was too many conflicting requirements.

I am missing something. I don't see anything pertaining to your statement "This is what we use"

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    This is what we use. It take a little more time than a card table to set up but it's strong enough for three or four. It's made from the same material and the same style as the main table.

Incidentally, while the legs get stored away, the top stays in the kitchen as a cover for the pastry board.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drackman View Post
    I am missing something. I don't see anything pertaining to your statement "This is what we use"
    I included pics. Maybe they didn't come through ?

I got my inspiration from one of the first FWW Design books. No hardware at all, just a dowel where the stretchers cross and on top of the legs for the top to sit in. I should have made the top and legs thicker as it is too light and flexible. Thicker material would reduce it a lot. When I put it against the dining table I put a couple pieces of gaffers or blue paper masking tape to hold it together. The table cloth hides it well enough.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I can't see them. Can anyone else?

I like that a lot, Peter. ..Easy set up ; it looks sturdy.

Thanks. I have a pair and they let me stretch my dining table to ten and a half feet for the rarest of occasions when I need to feed a crowd.

Can you try reposting the pictures?

Frank, I hope these come through.

auxiliary table 029.jpgauxilary table 005.jpg

Yonak any chance of a picture of the apron taken apart. I may be dense but I don't see how it takes down without tools.

Sorry .. can't get a picture right now. Two fingers slide into mortises and are pinned in place with dowels (which are not shown). The dowels are attached together with a wire that helps to remove them. Admittedly, it takes 10 minutes to set it up or take it down.