Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Sawstop Injury I didn't think this could happen.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Good safety video, but I can't get over wondering if he ever cleans the pitch off his blades?
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    ...They are telling everyone else you aren't a man (or a woman) if you need a blade guard...
    No, they're not. They're showing that you can safely use a saw without a guard, which is true.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    No, they're not. They're showing that you can safely use a saw without a guard, which is true.
    You can also win the Super Ball if you play every week. Those who advocate not using safety guards, I guarantee show up in the hospital more often then those who win the Super Ball.

Ratio % for winning the Super Ball?
    Ratio % for using woodworking equipment, not safety equipment properly... injuries?
    Ratio % for not using a seatbelt/airbags in a vehicle injuries?

This is why lawyers make so much money. Both parties are trying to prove due diligence/negligence.

No one won the lottery when you cut off all your fingers because you were not due diligent. (Except the lawyers).
    Cut safe, play safe and think of every time you make a cut,...this is the time you’re gonna lose every finger and the board is going to shoot at you. Then get some real training. I’d like every lawyer to ask their client, can you prove how much former professional, professional training you have prior to this incident and the professionals signed offed signature for training to rule out negligence. Machines don’t cut/hurt people. People do it to themselves. Just ask your best friend if you can borrow their chainsaw and how much they are insured for. Let me know the outcome.

I don’t lend my chainsaws to anyone! And I’m in the midst of putting together a shop entry waiver.
    Last edited by Matt Mattingley; 07-17-2018 at 1:21 AM.

I'm more aware and careful when I run without the guard. My only TS injury happened while using all the guards. Your guarantee is void.

I look at every table saw accident as a 1800s sword fight. You were given a Brain, knife and a shield to work with. Those who dropped their shields and said I’ll be a superstar with just with a knife, usually didn’t come home to brag about it... most people who leave their tools at home, don’t get the job done! Sooner or later, Turn off your brain, turn off your shields… Just turn off your blades!
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 07-17-2018 at 8:59 AM.

[QUOTE=Ole Anderson;2830687] No. Add me to the camp of those that rail against all of the TV shows and YouTubers that simply don't use a guard. They are telling everyone else you aren't a man (or a woman) if you need a blade guard....

Again, No they are not; If you have to make up false statements to support your argument, maybe you don't have much of an argument at all. How about just stick to the facts.

When you watch a video of people showing how they work, that's what they are doing, showing you how they work. I you don't like it, don't do. If you disagree, you are free to disagree, You can tell everyone that you disagree, you don't have to make stuff up.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Miller View Post
    Any of evidence that more Sawstop owners do this than owners of other brands?
    I think not.
    I don't care, I think the same of all of them. Disabling your safety equipment, then complaining you got hurt is irrational.

Blog Entries
    I think not.
    I was going to ask for a show of hands but, Saw Stop threads get goofy enough without my help. Brian is making a rather sweeping and generalizing statement but, I think it is primarily for effect. I doubt he really thinks 9 out of 10 Saw Stop owners who used all the safety gear on their previous saw remove it once they buy a Saw Stop. This doesn't mean there aren't some buyers who erroneously think "There, now I don't have to use my guard anymore". For my part I use my tablesaw safety gear on my Saw Stop just like I have on every other saw. I chose the saw itself. It competes well with other saws in its class and price point; it just happens to come with a safety feature. I don't want my saw or my car to start thinking for me .
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-26-2018 at 7:14 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I think not.
    I fully agree. The blade guard on a SawStop is much better than most and it’s easy to use.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    Exactly the case and why I have no sympathy for a lot of people who get injured. Taking the safety equipment off of your saw except when absolutely necessary and then operating unsafely, that's your fault not the saw's. If you're that stupid, you deserve what you get. But what's the first thing most Saw Stop owners do when they get their "safe" saw? They take off the blade guard!
    I am sure this guy didn't buy the SS with the dust collection blade guard. The guard must be left on in order for the overarm dust collection to work. The only time that guard should come off is when one uses a dado blade, or uses a cross cut sled, or when sawing thin strips.

I still don't understand why people keep saying the guard obstructs the viewing. Viewing is done before you switch on the saw.

Simon
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 02-26-2018 at 6:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    I am sure this guy didn't buy the SS with the dust collection blade guard. The guard must be left on in order for the overarm dust collection to work. The only time that guard should come off is when one uses a dado blade, or uses a cross cut sled, or when sawing thin strips.

I still don't understand why people keep saying the guard obstructs the viewing. Viewing is done before you switch on the saw.
    Or non-through cuts, or cutting narrow material, there are legitimate reasons to take the blade guard off, but that's not all the time and if you watch virtually all YouTube videos, and probably just regular table saw users, that blade guard is off, probably all of the time. But for people who are buying a Saw Stop specifically for safety, then refuse to use the safety equipment that came with their saws in the first place... that makes no sense at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    Or non-through cuts, or cutting narrow material, there are legitimate reasons to take the blade guard off, but that's not all the time and if you watch virtually all YouTube videos, and probably just regular table saw users, that blade guard is off, probably all of the time. But for people who are buying a Saw Stop specifically for safety, then refuse to use the safety equipment that came with their saws in the first place... that makes no sense at all.
    I leave mine in place till I get down to about 2 inch rips. I then use my microjig gripper thingy.

I don't want to sit through 12 minutes of video discussion. What happened to his thumb?
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Rutter View Post
    I don't want to sit through 12 minutes of video discussion. What happened to his thumb?
    Cut across the top, got some stitches.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    Cut across the top, got some stitches.
    Thanks.

So the anti-kickback extensions prevent the brake block from grabbing as quickly? Good to know!

When I got my thumb a couple of years ago, the blade was gone under the table before it could do more than scratch me (no blood). And yes, I normally have a Biesemeyer overarm guard, but was doing a cut with board on edge and it was swung out of the way, lol.
    JR