Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920

Thread: Sawstop Injury I didn't think this could happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Not all saw blades move at 5K rpm, many are considerably slower.
    Call it 1000 RPM and only feed the wood at 20 MPH then?

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    Follow up question: How could you get the short fence parallel to the saw blade?

Simon
    I use a dial indicator mounted in a jig made for that purpose. It slides in the miter slot so you can easily measure the front and back of the blade. Adjust the table or mechanism as needed on your saw to get it square. Lower the blade, bring in the fence, and using the same jig, square up the fence.

Repeat. I know that sounds stupid, but by doing repeated alignments, I've made my saw work SO much better. There's a shocking difference between "really close" and being less than .001 out in any direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Alvarez View Post
    I use a dial indicator mounted in a jig made for that purpose. It slides in the miter slot so you can easily measure the front and back of the blade. Adjust the table or mechanism as needed on your saw to get it square. Lower the blade, bring in the fence, and using the same jig, square up the fence.

Repeat. I know that sounds stupid, but by doing repeated alignments, I've made my saw work SO much better. There's a shocking difference between "really close" and being less than .001 out in any direction.
    My question was referring to the short fence on Jack's jig, not the tablesaw main fence, which is checked now and then using a scrap cut to width.

Simon

4. Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    My question was referring to the short fence on Jack's jig, not the tablesaw main fence, which is checked now and then using a scrap cut to width.

Simon
    Most short fences you can slide them forward (or put them wherever that you want). Most short fences are sliders. Most short fences that are vintage, do not have tee slots or keyways running parallel to the blade, they usually have Percision machined dovetail keyways running 90° to the blade (or pinholes and screws). There’s about two or three dozen more adjustment points in sliding table saw. Usually the vintage sliding table saw fence weighs about 100 pounds. Just the mitre gauge on some of them can waigh over 40 pounds. My table saw in my basement has a footprint weight of just over 1700 pounds. The sliding table with the metre on it (no wood is over 200 pounds). The people who have sliders tend to not remove (or turn off/remove) safety equipment (even when using wet wood). Sliding guys tend to put their body and hands in different safe placement than those that use traditional North American table saws. Slider guys just tend not to put them selves in harms way, as they don’t need to........

I am a 90% Slider guy. And I knowledgeably did something very stupid last week when I removed all my guards. I wasn’t promoting what I did and I would never promote what I did to anyone (no matter the experience).

Edit; I just find it really weird that a manufacture go through millions of hours of testing using something called statistical process control, get 100 different people to try to screw it up as easy as they can, then they write a manual for the safest operation. Then some people just end up in front of the tablesaw ripping and ready to go With total disregard of the manual and safety features. I called this the...Don’t tell me what to do attitude! This is why I would rather teach kids under 25 years old, then +50-year-olds. Sometimes it’s really hard to change those that are set in their ways! (Or trained wrongly, by somebody who was set in their ways). This is why threads like this, Is like beating a dead horse. I just hope one percent( or more) of those following, choose to use safer work practices!

Is really really tough to get people to admit they saved their fingers (how many times) by just doing it safely. These same people I call have a healthy...respectable fear.
    Last edited by Matt Mattingley; 07-23-2018 at 2:43 AM.