Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Sawstop Injury I didn't think this could happen.

1. I look at every table saw accident as a 1800s sword fight. You were given a Brain, knife and a shield to work with. Those who dropped their shields and said I’ll be a superstar with just with a knife, usually didn’t come home to brag about it... most people who leave their tools at home, don’t get the job done! Sooner or later, Turn off your brain, turn off your shields… Just turn off your blades!
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 07-17-2018 at 8:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mattingley View Post
    I look at every table saw accident as a 1800s sword fight. You were given a Brain, knife and a shield to work with. Those who dropped their shields and said I’ll be a superstar with just with a knife, usually didn’t come home to brag about it... most people who leave their tools at home, don’t get the job done! Sooner or later, Turn off your brain, turn off your shields… Just turn off your blades!
    Matt, the problem with this argument is always the same;
    Nobody examines the actual facts.
    Nobody actually looks at what is being done and what is being said and everybody makes up nonsense to prove their point,
    Everyone makes up totally irrelevant analogies.

And all any of it does is muddies the water.
    If you want an intelligent conversation stick to the facts.

This has absolutely nothing to do with seat-belt or no seat-belt.

It has a lot more in common with sword fighting;

if you did your research you would find that the most famous swordfighter of all time Miyamoto Musashi did not use a shield...... and died of old age! In fact he often only fought with sticks
    He also wrote a book on strategy called the book of five rings, which is still in print after 500 years and used as a model for martial arts, business, and philosophy.

So maybe the shield like pushsticks and guards in woodworking give you a false sense of security and in fact obscure your vision and limit your movement and control.

musashi[1].jpgtruth-miyamoto-musashi[1].jpg
    Last edited by Mark Hennebury; 07-17-2018 at 10:48 AM. Reason: spelling

I had intentions of buying a sawstop for the safety aspect of it,,,and I believe that is the main reason most do buy them,,,but there is a lot of good saws that do the same as a saw stop,,,and for the price that you pay for it to start with,,reguardless of what blade you have on it,it should stop the blade,,,,i think for the price of the saw,, it is over rated,,,as prove in this thread

I'm more aware and careful when I run without the guard. My only TS injury happened while using all the guards. Your guarantee is void.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff oldham View Post
    I had intentions of buying a sawstop for the safety aspect of it,,,and I believe that is the main reason most do buy them,,,
    The safety feature is one of the reasons, not necessarily the main reason. Imagine who would spend $3000 on a SawStop that had the best finger saving technology but

did not offer excellent cutting performance
    included mediocre tolerances
    was supported by poor customer service
    did not have the option of excellent dust collection, and
    did not offer the option of one of the best mobile bases money could buy.

I would not have.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    Imagine who would spend $3000 on a SawStop that had the best finger saving technology but

did not offer excellent cutting performance
    included mediocre tolerances
    was supported by poor customer service
    did not have the option of excellent dust collection, and
    did not offer the option of one of the best mobile bases money could buy.
    Please, whoever brainwashed you, I need their number.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hennebury View Post
    Matt, the problem with this argument is always the same;
    Nobody examines the actual facts.
    Nobody actually looks at what is being done and what is being said and everybody makes up nonsense to prove their point,
    Everyone makes up totally irrelevant analogies.

And all any of it does is muddies the water.
    If you want an intelligent conversation stick to the facts.

This has absolutely nothing to do with seat-belt or no seat-belt.
    Mark, you and I agree on so much.

Do you have a saw stop in your shop? Why or why not?
    Just play with me here...
    If you took a position in a cabinet/pattern shop and the shop owner said to you pick any table saw/s and gave you a total budget of $30,000. What would you choose(and you’re allowed to use the used market)? You’re not allowed to upgrade for about 10 years. You only have a 700 square-foot room in the building. You are required to maintain your own machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    Please, whoever brainwashed you, I need their number.
    I think it is a 1800 number....For the record, I have not needed to call them for service to my saw; I go to their website now and then.

Simon

Mark, you and I agree on so much.

Do you have a saw stop in your shop? Why or why not?
    Just play with me here...
    If you took a position in a cabinet/pattern shop and the shop owner said to you pick any table saw/s and gave you a total budget of $30,000. What would you choose(and you’re allowed to use the used market)? You’re not allowed to upgrade for about 10 years. You only have a 700 square-foot room in the building. You are required to maintain your own machines.

Hi Matt,

I do not own a sawstop. I own and use Robinson models ZT/E and ET/E

I would look for a used Reinhard PKN 350, you might get one for that price if your lucky

02-pkn350_orig[1].jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hennebury View Post
    Hi Matt,

I do not own a sawstop. I own and use Robinson models ZT/E and ET/E

I would look for a used Reinhard PKN 350, you might get one for that price if your lucky

02-pkn350_orig[1].jpg
    Both excellent and top-of-the-line machines!

Thank you for your response. I was trying to put you on the spot. Sorry! I fully respect your opinion on quality woodworking and metal machines. Sometimes I wish you and I live closer, so we could play in each others sandbox.

I think you made it clear (without saying it) what you would prefer.

Your shop is on my shortlist of tours.
    Last edited by Matt Mattingley; 07-18-2018 at 12:39 AM.

Both excellent and top-of-the-line machines!

Thank you for your response. I was trying to put you on the spot. Sorry! I fully respect your opinion on quality woodworking and metal machines. Sometimes I wish you and I live closer, so we could play in each others sandbox.

I think you made it clear (without saying it) what you would prefer.

Matt, you can put me on the spot anytime.

I can't see me ever owning a Sawstop.

To be honest it would be fun to design and build a table saw.

It would be great to spend some time chewing the fat together, you are an interesting and knowledgeable guy.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hennebury View Post
    Matt, you can put me on the spot anytime.

I can't see me ever owning a Sawstop.

To be honest it would be fun to design and build a table saw.

It would be great to spend some time chewing the fat together, you are an interesting and knowledgeable guy.
    I do have an industrial SS at work. But 95% of the workers are/or have less than 100 hours experience. Then there is the good old general 350. We don’t have any siders. I’ve done about a dozen tours through high school shops that are introducing woodworking to novice. The high school shops are auctioning off their machines to subsidize saw stop for insurance reasons. The technology is there to help my stupid idiotic son from cutting off his finger. Just ask your next employee if they’ve ever had a saw stop stop. Then think three times if you should hire them... i’ve had the same kid blow up a belt sander 3x. Ask me for a recommendation.

Anyone can brag about buying a tool. Not Anyone brags about 8000 hours training. YouTube is a good example of this.
    Last edited by Matt Mattingley; 07-18-2018 at 1:31 AM.

The high school shops are auctioning off their machines to subsidize saw stop for insurance reasons. [/QUOTE]

This is news to me and a sad one. No schools I have been to that have acquired one to three ICSs had to sell their shop machines in order to get their new saws. In fact, SawStop seemed (still?) to have a school deal for them. Of course, every school in question had reported their finger saves. They used Freud blades and CMTs or economical blades like those.

Simon

just get the right saw! and keep your hands in your pocket .

jack
    English machines

You have what would be a called a SAW-GO