Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Sawstop Injury I didn't think this could happen.

Quote Originally Posted by keith micinski View Post
    Guards being used or not shouldnt be the point of this tread. Isn’t the exact purpose of the sawstop mechanism designed to account for stupid human error? The guy stuck his hand into the blade on accident and the sawstop didn’t perform as advertised due to the blade he was using which wasn’t rated to be used on the sawstop because of its design. If he used all of the safety equipment all the time then he wouldn’t need the sawstop. This guys situation is what sawstop guy always touts as why they own one. Now all I’m reading are guards and proper technique were the problem which is what anti sawstop guy has always said is the actual safety needed when operating a saw.
    Trusting technology is just plain foolish on anything that matters

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    You're doing it wrong.

Please tell me you see your contradiction here.
    Not sure why you would see any contradiction there, assuming you are not trying to split hair.

Whether I use a SS or not (that is pre-SS days), I exercise cautions at all times. But that does not mean I can not increase my level of consciousness or awareness when I work with certain tasks.

When a soldier is on duty and stays alerted, it does not mean he or she cannot be extra alerted when he or she senses certain danger either because of sight or sound.

Tell me where you don't understand about not lowering one's consciousness and increasing one's awareness. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Simon

Trusting technology is just plain foolish on anything that matters
    Do you fly?

Or do you drive a car with computer chips?

Our modern lives all depend on technology.

All patients who undergo major surgeries depend on technology to keep them alive.

Trusting technology is not foolish but a necessity, as long as it is the right and proven technology.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Rutter View Post
    I don't want to sit through 12 minutes of video discussion. What happened to his thumb?
    He said he did not know what happened so I stopped at that point in the video. I am not a psychic and his esp did not work on me.
    I hate most videos. he just drones on and on and never did say what happened. A title might have said something but since he did not know I do not care.
    From other posters I guess he ran his finger into the blade and was surprised it got cut and the magic saw stop did not prevent all injury. Kind of like the folks who are surprised a bullet proof vest still hurts when you get shot.
    Bill D

This is Alex.

We could learn a lot from Alex.
    A lot about living your life how you see fit.
    A lot about risk.
    A lot about safety.

If i wanted to learn to Climb with or without ropes, i would study Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    Do you fly?
    Yep, the pilots who fly, ATC who control, and the engineers who designed the aircraft don't trust tech either. That's why there's redundancy, often times in triplicate or better, built into any critical system. Why do you think there's two pilots? They don't trust organic means either.

Or do you drive a car with computer chips?
    I do, and when there's danger to me having to walk when it's -40º outside, I carry winter gear when something fails. Which seems to have less and less possibility of something going wrong with every generation, but all it takes is one of a thousand parts failing and you're a popsicle when you live in a tough winter climate.

Our modern lives all depend on technology.
    Most yes. But what happens when something catastrophic happens? Say a big solar flare and the resulting EMP that takes us back to the 1800's in a matter of minutes? The mormons have it right, you should have supplies on hand. The reptilian brain takes over pretty quickly when the stomach is empty long enough.

All patients who undergo major surgeries depend on technology to keep them alive.
    And while the results aren't too bad, patients that should have lived often times don't. Heck, prescription drugs is one of the largest killers in the USA.

Trusting technology is not foolish but a necessity, as long as it is the right and proven technology.

Necessity doesn't make trusting it any more foolish. YouTube hero is a pretty simple example of that.

Not sure why you would see any contradiction there, assuming you are not trying to split hair.

Whether I use a SS or not (that is pre-SS days), I exercise cautions at all times. But that does not mean I can not increase my level of consciousness or awareness when I work with certain tasks.

When a soldier is on duty and stays alerted, it does not mean he or she cannot be extra alerted when he or she senses certain danger either because of sight or sound.

Tell me where you don't understand about not lowering one's consciousness and increasing one's awareness. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Simon

You should have the thousand yard stare with the tool before you even power it up. You are saying your mentality changes with and without the guard. That is a poor approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hennebury View Post
    This is Alex.

We could learn a lot from Alex.
    A lot about living your life how you see fit.
    A lot about risk.
    A lot about safety.

If i wanted to learn to Climb with or without ropes, i would study Alex.
    And if Alex falls, I wouldn't feel at all sorry for Alex. He did it to himself.

Yep, the pilots who fly, ATC who control, and the engineers who designed the aircraft don't trust tech either. That's why there's redundancy, often times in triplicate or better, built into any critical system. Why do you think there's two pilots? They don't trust organic means either.
    Martin's way of saying this is a bit more provocative than how I would, but he's essentially right. People who design complex, potentially dangerous systems understand and assume in their engineering that components will fail from time to time, and operators will make mistakes or fail to perform to requirements from time to time. So in addition to the effort we put into making sure the technology is as reliable as we can get it, and people are well trained, to the degree possible, we design every process and it's associated toolset so that the failure of a component or actor won't result in catastrophic harm. That's how you minimize adverse outcomes - injuries, production failures, etc.

Which makes much of the discussion in this thread rather foolish itself. There are no silver bullets. If your goal is to minimize imjuries, you don't choose safe technique or safe tools, you focus on safe technique using safe tools.

But if Martin is fair in some sense in saying even in highly safety conscious and successful industries, like commercial aviation, people "don't trust" technology, it's a rather misleading oversimplification. We certainly rely on technology, albeit with a healthy understanding that we have to accommodate situations where it might fail. When our surgeons perform a robotic, laparoscopic surgery, they most definitely are trusting that the technology will work, and simultaneously trusting that we've got adequate fail-safe tools and procedures in the event it fails. That is, they do not perform every move in the surgery with a calculation of what they are going to do if the device doesn't behave as expected. They trust - assume - that it will. But they know that they and their team also know what to do if it today is the 1 in 100,000 or whatever when it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    And if Alex falls, I wouldn't feel at all sorry for Alex. He did it to himself.
    Alex does not need your sympathy, your understanding or approval.

You too will die.

"He did it himself" Your right on the money on that point. That is what makes him the safest climber on the planet.
    He is relying on nothing but himself, no equipment, no help. Zero margin of error. If that doesn't help you focus your attention nothing will.

Read the OP thread heading; Sawstop Injury "I didn't think this could happen."
    If you think about that for a minute You might just find a clue into why this did happen.
    I would guess that Alex has a slightly different frame of mind.

You should have the thousand yard stare with the tool before you even power it up. You are saying your mentality changes with and without the guard. That is a poor approach.
    Judging from your response (as well as that regarding technology), you are indeed splitting hair.

Go ahead and live a life...without technology which eliminates any question about trusting or not trusting technology. In the meantime, I will continue to rely on my SS technology for an added layer of protection.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hennebury View Post
    Alex does not need your sympathy, your understanding or approval.
    https://www.cnn.com/2017/12/13/asia/...ntl/index.html

Everyone will die, some just live longer. The choice is personal.

The only objection I have against people taking unnecessary risk is when their actions affect others negatively -- directly or indirectly. If they don't, be my guest. Lives are always full of risks and we can only try to manage the risks that we want to manage.

Simon

How?

We respond to different levels of stress differently and why changing my level of awareness when a guard is used vs when it is not used is a poor approach? Please enlighten me with science to support your conclusion. If it is just your personal opinion based on your x no. of shop experience without one single incident, then I can tell you the same that I have adjusted my level of awareness without one single incident based on my x no. of shop experience.

Simon

Judging from your response (as well as that regarding technology), you are indeed splitting hair.

Go ahead and live a life...without technology which eliminates any question about trusting or not trusting technology. In the meantime, I will continue to rely on my SS technology for an added layer of protection.

Simon

I give up. You're far too smart for me. Good luck and I wish you the best.

I do, and when there's danger to me having to walk when it's -40º outside, I carry winter gear when something fails. Which seems to have less and less possibility of something going wrong with every generation, but all it takes is one of a thousand parts failing and you're a popsicle when you live in a tough winter climate.
    Precisely. Redundancy is very important in safety. Which is why the notion of not using available and convenient safety equipment and relying on human error never happening as a means of protecting yourself from being maimed is foolish.