Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Sawstop Injury I didn't think this could happen.

Quote Originally Posted by jack forsberg View Post
    just for entertainment here is a teacher showing how to use a saw stop safely
    I shared this (first 30 secs) in another tread which has since been locked that seems to contradict the teacher's teaching:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqp3nr2FKEE (Caution: Try this at your own peril)

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    I shared this (first 30 secs) in another tread which has since been locked that seems to contradict the teacher's teaching:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqp3nr2FKEE (Caution: Try this at your own peril)

Simon
    Not that big of a deal.

Jack,
    Those HSE regs are pretty minimal compared to the BGMH or Suva. When I get time I will see if the safety books I have are online. HSE is better than what we have here for OSHA though. Those regs are really crazy.

One thing about safety is it is up to the individual. I have top safety gear in my shop and was always amazed at how different employees would apply the safety techniques for good or bad…
    One shop we visited in the UK was using immigrant labor, Lot of crazy stuff and missing fingers in that shop. They had the HSE posters everywhere but don't think those guys looked at them.

I spent some time in a Chinese shop setting up a CNC shaper. More crazy stuff going in that shop as well. Contrast that to the month I spent in Bhutan setting up a shop. Third world country where the sidewalks in town are dangerous. The shop had a lot of very dangerous unguarded setups but the people there took a real interest in working safely. some accidents over the years but not bad for 60 people working in a crowded shop.

Hard to argue against safety but still up to the individual regardless of the regs.

If you Find those joe Online it would be awesome but I imagine there are more suited to all of the instruments and fixtures required to use long sliding tablesaws in more traditional manners. Like the fritz and Franz fixtures. As you know Joe I’m strictly vantage but I do like to see and adopt Modern safety advancements. It is hard to argue against safety . Knock on wood still got all my fingers
    jack
    English machines

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Not that big of a deal.
    Compared to what?

I recently saw a video about a family business in which the owner (in his 50s or early 60s) mentioned about his finger cuts (plural) over the years, and said the last incident was not that bad because it did not cut into the bone!

Simon

Compared to what?

I recently saw a video about a family business in which the owner (in his 50s or early 60s) mentioned about his finger cuts (plural) over the years, and said the last incident was not that bad because it did not cut into the bone!

Simon
    Compared to what you think, obviously.

Compared to what you think, obviously.
    Care to try it and report back? (The obvious translation: Talk is cheap.)

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 07-21-2018 at 3:41 PM.

Care to try it and report back? (The obvious translation: Talk is cheap.)

Simon
    Been there, done that, not that big a deal. Years ago I made my own table saw table and fence. I used it frequently and built many projects with it. You dont need a fancy SS to get things done. Fear is the biggest hurdle for the incompetent.

Been there, done that, not that big a deal. Years ago I made my own table saw table and fence. I used it frequently and built many projects with it. You dont need a fancy SS to get things done. Fear is the biggest hurdle for the incompetent.
    I used to drive a car without seat belts, no ac, no power windows, yes timing belt, and among other things, yes cigarette lighter (keyless ignition? What the heck was it?).

Big deal? No, but I would rather walk (or bike) than getting into a car as described above now.

While years ago you made your own table saw, years ago I made my dining table good for 10 with a tablesaw. My competency? 0 as a tablesaw maker; 10 as a table maker.

Simon

Blog Entries
    there is also the HSE PDF for the slider too

http://www.hse.gov.uk/woodworking/dimensionsaw.htm

just for entertainment here is a teacher showing how to use a saw stop safely

I was taught never to use a full length fence in combination with a cross cut guide. He should clamp a piece of scrap to his fence back at his starting point so that as soon as he starts his cut the end of his stock toward the fence is no longer touching. His "safer" technique still leaves a good chance of binding if his fence isn't exactly parallel to his blade and cross cut guide.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I was taught never to use a full length fence in combination with a cross cut guide. He should clamp a piece of scrap to his fence back at his starting point so that as soon as he starts his cut the end of his stock toward the fence is no longer touching. His "safer" technique still leaves a good chance of binding if his fence isn't exactly parallel to his blade and cross cut guide.
    Ding ding ding you win. I’ll also note that he also did not lock off the Brett crown guard so had he had a kickback the guard would’ve moved sideways and he would’ve hit the blade. Of course a sliding plate fences would not need to have a piece of wood clamp and would merely be slid back to do as you described. I was wondering how long it would take for someone to describe what he did wrong.
    jack
    English machines

was wondering how long it would take for someone to describe what he did wrong.
    What was wrong?

Didn't Pat just confirm: been there, done that...even without using a miter gauge. Please don't spread the fear.

Jokes aside, this seemed to be how this guy justified the use of the sawfence as a stop block (apparently when he ran out of reasons (including been there and done that(?)):

"Just grabbing peopled attention."

Simon

Narrow strip ripping on a table saw that is lacking a riving knife is very problematic. feeding thin strip with a push stick that are 1/4" wide is not safe ether in a long fence . some will cut the thin strip off the out side of a wider board but have to set the fence each time .

If you need to rip strips as small as .025" one tenth the thickness of 1/4" that are the same size and accurate you can make a simple fixture that uses the same short fence idea

and riving knife principals but is home made. Some like to have the cutoff fall to the out side/waste side of the cut but this means you have to move the fence for each cut. this fixture is easy to set up and you don't change the setting

photo3_zps4ed994a1.jpg
    all this is is a piece of flat stock keyed to the miter slot and a front stop with the blade cut up through. when you set it up to cut thin strips screw down a temporary piece flush with the right side of the blade as the back fence . Then lay your strip that your would like to cut(this one is set to cut .025") against the left in feed side of the blade screwed down the short fence , the in-feed short fence to stop just in front the saw blade about one inch into the cut .

photo2_zps6fec1d0a.jpg
    you put the back splitter fence right behind the blade with the wedge pushing the thin strip off cut away from the rising back teeth of the blade and off the same board you screws down to the (cut line) this gives suport of the work and you have a short and long fence so all should be happy. and a crown guard can be used. this is when very precise thickness is needed like in inlay work

photo1_zps81a2c1a5.jpg

don't blink you may miss something LOL
    Last edited by jack forsberg; 07-21-2018 at 6:24 PM.
    jack
    English machines

jf--pretty clever solution.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

+1

Good and safe solution.

Simon