Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What saw for a Stanley 150 mitre box

What saw for a Stanley 150 mitre box

I just picked up a Stanley 150 mitre box in excellent shape and want to put it to use. I did some research, but haven't found what size saw was originally recommended. I was going to use that to base my search for a saw. I know Bad Axe has a saw basically made for this box, but I can't spend $300 for a saw when I'm not sure how much I'll use it. Anyone know what was in this or have a recommendation (length and depth)?

The beauty of the 150 is that you can use a backsaw of virtually any length you want, or use a regular handsaw.

go HERE if you haven't already

In my accumulation of tools, I have around 18 vintage miter boxes, no two alike. One of my favorites, is the 150: small & portable, can use whatever saw at hand, easy to adjust and cuts accurately. For me, the saw I usually use if a Wentzloff half back CC, but I also use a short #16 or a CC carcas saw. As I said, the box is very easy to adjust for whatever saw you use.

My next favorite miter box is a Langdon 16-1/2. Perfect size for small trim. Larger miter boxes ate more of carpenter tools.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Blog Entries
    For what it's worth, as a Neander with recent experience in miter boxes (thanks PM), my view is the longer the saw the better - for a simple reason: given the the travel of the tooth line in a miter box is restricted fore/aft by the saw guides, the longer the saw plate, the longer the tooth line you can effectively move through the work piece.

Just my thoughts, your mileage may vary.

Best, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post
    For what it's worth, as a Neander with recent experience in miter boxes (thanks PM), my view is the longer the saw the better - for a simple reason: given the the travel of the tooth line in a miter box is restricted fore/aft by the saw guides, the longer the saw plate, the longer the tooth line you can effectively move through the work piece.

Just my thoughts, your mileage may vary.

Best, Mike
    Mike,

Think you'd better have a look at the model 150.

It does not have fore and aft saw guides -- hence my advice.

150_OY.jpg

Blog Entries
    Ron makes a very nice saw. Mine is 20”. Ron also sells kits, so you can make your own. I also use a half-back I made from a Wentzloff kit, back when Mike offered kits.

If Ron was offering kits when I ordered my saw, I would have made my own.

A74E1EAD-5D43-4414-AAB8-9B587E1F8C67.jpg

And the guides it has, are adjustable. It pays to thoroughly read the instructions to understand how this little gem works.

Blog Entries
    Tony, you are such a tease! My 150s did not show up with a manual/instructions, do you have access to a link to the manual/instructions?

I posted a link in my first post (above)

Blog Entries
    Thanks Joe, I found it, was about to repost, missed your link. Not sure if it is within forum rules to link to companies selling woodworking tools. Badaxe has a link to the 150 Manual.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 02-27-2018 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Holbrook View Post
    Thanks Joe, I found it, was about to repost. Not sure if it is within forum rules to link to companies selling woodworking tools. Badaxe has a link to the 150 Manual.
    Joe beat me to it! I've used mine with a number of different saws and the accuracy is excellent, with finish dependent upon saw used.

I'm still not set on what to get, but I'm working on the wife for a Bad Axe saw. She wants a second camera body (she's an amateur photographer), so I'm trying to use that to get a new saw and band saw. But seriously, I'm leaning toward the Bad Axe. I could go the vintage route, but I have never sharpened a saw and don't have time to learn right now. Just tough to justify. Of course that hasn't stopped me before.

Look to LN or Lee Valley. Or, check "The Best Things" web site for Thomas Flin/Pax saws. Another is "Tools for Working Wood", and their Grammercy saw line. As far as sharpening, there are quite a few places to send your saw, LN re-sharpens their saws at a dirt cheap price. "Tools for Working Wood" also resharpen their saws.

While the OP is saving up the pennies...
    Go into the local BORG, grab one of the plastic mitre box and saw sets...stanley would do....
    Get home, either throw out the plastic box, or give it to your neighbor.
    Next: you can use the saw right away, just set the guides for THAT saw. Maybe later, add a wood handle to replace the plastic thing that looks like a handle...by the time the saw does get dull, you have saved up enough to get a fancier saw.....but, at least you get to use the #150 until then.