Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How would you repair this handle?

How would you repair this handle?

Picked up a WITHERBY drawknife for a good price.....All good except one bad handle..(see pics below)

How would you repair? Make new handle to match the other? or glue on piece of hardwood for damaged part and try to blend in with rasp, shave, etc? or?

Your ideas will help me decide...Thank you...

2018-03-29 22.38.53.jpg2018-03-29 22.40.16.jpg2018-03-29 22.38.40.jpg2018-03-29 22.38.34.jpg2018-03-29 22.39.05.jpg
    Jerry

yeah, I'd replace the whole handle with wood. Not another chicken leg!

Blog Entries
    If you can make one, you can make two so they still match.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Trying to patch it with the steel rod in the middle would be a big PITA. Better to replace.

Either Replace the whole thing or carefully saw off the broken part around the tang to get a straight surface, drill out a piece and glue that to it and shape it to fit.

Which is the broken side?

Regards from Perth

Derek

I;m with Jim; two new handles.

Blog Entries
    I would find the wayward beaver that gnawed on the handle and get it out of my shop first, then make two new handles or find a friend with a lathe and have him give me a lesson.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

How is the handle actually affixed to the metal tang? How do you remove it?

I'd replace both handles. Split the old ones off with a chisel then heat and straighten the tangs and remove the end cups. Center drill the new handles to match the tangs and turn the profile of the handle. Heat the tangs and burn in the handles to fit then attach the end cups and peen over the tangs. Curtis Buchanon has a nice write up in the newest FWW mag which will take you the rest of the way.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Blog Entries
    I agree with Bob Glenn. I have that same shave. It is a keeper.
    I would make new handles. I would make hex blanks and shape them by whittling with a shave.
    I would use the good handle for a pattern. I have done it successfully.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 03-30-2018 at 10:49 AM.

Part of it is missing and even it was there. There is not enough meat for a good strong joint. I would make a new handle if you have a lathe. Yes if there isn't one then use a spokeshave or another drawknife to make one pair.

Not me, I'd fix it with a scarf, lengthening and thinning out the tang. But then I value the old handles for their own sake, and don't have a lathe.

Many good ideas/suggestions here....I can see the merits of replacing both or just repairing the one (which might be more work)..I do have a small lathe that I use for making chisel handles (similiar).....My concern is (as Pat said): how is it attached to the tang (steel rod)? and later how will the new handle or portion be attached? I'm thinking epoxy but will defer to your ideas...

Of course, I have 3-4 projects ahead of this but I'm trying to plan my approach.
    Thanks to y'all for your thinking and suggestions..I'll continue to follow this thread...
    Also loved Lee's comment on the beaver in the workshop that caused all this
    Thanks
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Glenn View Post
    I'd replace both handles. Split the old ones off with a chisel then heat and straighten the tangs and remove the end cups. Center drill the new handles to match the tangs and turn the profile of the handle. Heat the tangs and burn in the handles to fit then attach the end cups and peen over the tangs. Curtis Buchanon has a nice write up in the newest FWW mag which will take you the rest of the way.
    Thanks Bob....Very helpful..I'll get the FWW article..
    Jerry