Thread: Will a Delta bandsaw tension a bimetal blade?

Will a Delta bandsaw tension a bimetal blade?

I'm wondering if a Delta 14" bandsaw can tension a 3/8" bimetal blade, such as a Diemaster 2, or if that's more than the saw can handle. Would it matter whether of not the bandsaw has a riser block?

It depends upon what you mean by "can it tension it?". Yes, a 14" cast iron Delta BS can put enough tension on it for it to cut well. It can comfortably put around 15K psi on a 3/8" blade. Most blade manufacturers recommend higher tension however, 18K or more. So at 15K psi you won't be able to cut as fast as it could at 18K psi, but it will still cut straight as long as the blade is set up correctly on the wheels. FWIW, I have used 1/2" Diemaster 2 blades on my 14" Delta and it cuts fine at the 12K psi the saw can put on it.

It doesn't matter if the saw has a riser block on it or not. What does matter is that the bolt running through the riser block has a lot of tension on it.

John, thank you for the reply. I'm glad to hear that it can tension a bi-metal blade. Is the 15K psi achieved with the stock spring or with an aftermarket spring such as the one from Iturra Design? Thank you for the tip about making sure the bolt is tight enough.

--Geoff

Not sure Geoff about the stock spring, but I would think so if it has not been over compressed. I have an Iturra spring on mine now and it gives about 15K psi on a 3/8" blade right around the 3/8" tick mark on the tension indicator. So why don't I go higher? Because if I do the frame starts to deflect too much and the upper blade guide moves enough that Cool Blocks start pushing the blade out of alignment.

John