Thread: Bandsaw gloat - Italian Stallion tamed

Bandsaw gloat - Italian Stallion tamed

This followed me home yesterday. I found it via a wanted ad I posted on the NC Woodworker forum that turned out to be a pretty good lead. I've been looking for a gently used saw of this size and quality off and on for the last year and feel fortunate that this opportunity came up when it did. I had been strongly considering a new Laguna 18BX, but really didn't have the funds to support that decision and felt I could find something older, heavier, and Italian if I looked long enough....

The previous owner imported the saw from Italy in '86 when it was new and hasn't used it much over the years. Thought he needed a monster bandsaw and just ended up using a 15" saw for most of his work over the years. It seemed like a situation where he was happy to see it leave his shop and free up some space and I was happy to get it for the price he suggested

The Euro style guides on the saw don't allow smaller than a 1/2" blade, which I think limited his use in the type of work he used a bandsaw for. I will be using this for light duty curved work here and there, but mostly re-sawing and ripping rough stock.

Steton SN 500 - 20" wheels, 2 hp single phase motor, 12 3/4" re-saw height, blade brake, 163" blade length. The manual says it weighs 550 lbs, but it certainly seemed like it was heavier when we were struggling to get it in the back of my truck...

I need to put it through its paces for a bit before I decide, but I'm considering replacing the fence (table and fence are not installed in pics bc I took them off to move the saw) with a Laguna Driftmaster fence system. Also considering contacting Carter to see if they can make some replacement guide bearings for it. The Euro 5 kit on their site looks very similar to what's on the saw now, but I'm not totally sure it's a match.

Anyone have experience getting custom replacement guide bearings from Carter for a lesser known saw? The Euro 5 kit is $320; I can only imagine a custom made set will be a bit more than that?

Thoughts? Comments?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Phillip Mitchell; 02-25-2018 at 1:17 PM.

I'd wager it's an ACM "Star" series saw. Steton seem to be currently selling re-badged ones: http://www.steton.it/en/product/sn-600-700-800-900-h/

Nice score.

Thanks. I don’t know my ACM history well enough to know what a “Star” series saw is. Care to elaborate?

The Star series saws are mid-range weight without some bells and whistles of the BS series eg: foot brake. I think Laguna used to import these from ACM / Griggio as their "LT" line.

That appears to be a very nice saw and should serve you well.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If I were replacing the guides I would buy the Laguna ceramics.

Can the Laguna ceramics be mounted on any saw? How do I find out more info about the specifics of that process?

Call Laguna and ask, but they can be put on most saws. I had to make an aluminum post for mine. I have a lathe and just took some aluminum round bar and milled it myself. This was on a 24" Centauro. I really like them a lot.

Nice! a 20" saw weighing at a sensible 250kgs ...
    That should tension a 1" carbide properly, one assumes.
    It is not a star model, Its beefier.
    I haven't seen that frame on Italian saws before.
    I dont see why you couldn't run a smaller blade with the roller guides, its more a case of getting the blade to track
    on a flat tire'd bandsaw (which I'm assuming it is?) without it having some negative effects.
    The guides and post look like the guides and universal mounting post on all Italian bandsaws of that era..(which hasn't been changed since on most of the Italian brands)
    I wouldn't rush to buy a driftmaster, especially after seeing Jack Forsberg's solution for consecutive resawing veneer.

Would love to see how well you can tune her up ....
    How are the tires?
    I have been sneaking up dressing my tires with the side of lapped plane iron clamped up on my ACM/Griggio STAR 600
    There's a post on this here.
    I bought a tire and was going to replacethe lower one, but it might be okay now.
    (been doing some more dressing since the last post)
    I wont know for sure till I try a new blade on it...you can't trust just one blade that would be a mistake.
    That post might have some tips if your tires needs work.

Good luck with your new vintage saw

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Trees; 03-04-2018 at 12:28 AM.