Thread: parting tool

parting tool

I got this Idea from someone else on the net. I modified his idea. He had the cutter mounted on the side which meant you had to take off the drill attachment. I mounted mine on top so it can stay mounted when using the drill. which meant I had build a new banjo. Mine was too tall when the cutter was mounted on top. It works great. It will cut rings a bit over 1`` deep.
    I am trying to come up with an idea on how to move it incrementally. It seems to be better to move the head stock as it is touchy to get the cutter square to the ring . If anyone has any ideas please share
    Thanks
    Al
    p1.JPGp2.JPGp3.JPGp4.JPG

posted this on the other forum figure i would post it here as well. Make a piece with 2 pieces of steel in a cross to fit in the slot in your banjo and between the ways. Use 2 bolts instead of 1 to keep it square. I am assuming the whole banjo slides in and out to make the cut.

The slide on his cross slide appears to be a part that people use to build 3D printers. You can search "Lead Screw Rod Linear Shaft Rail Bearing Slide Block Support" to get ideas of what it consists of.

Using the same principle it can be made using 5/8 1018 steel rods and using Delrin for the slides. The end pieces can be made out of maple or any good hardwood, but I think I might use Aluminum.

Another option is to find a cross slide fro a Delta 1460 lathe, it was a wood and metal lathe that was convertible between wood and metal. I have one, I ditched the lamp post tooling set up and have added specialty "stuff" in it's place. For this operation, I would use a standard cutting bit in a block post.

I agree with Ed: Bandsaw

Allan is using a Oneway drill wizard for his cross slide movement. As for moving the banjo and cutter asembly, I would cut a piece to fit snug between the ways of the lathe. I would the screw a wider piece to the smaller piece. Looking at an end view, you would have a t shape with long arms and a short leg. Loosen the banjo slightly and lightley tap the new piece and the banjo should move a little. Press the banjo up against the new piece will square the banjo to the lathe bed. Hope this helps.
    Joe

that's quite interesting. I turned a 4 foot tall tornado once. I did it by gluing up 2" blanks and using the parting tool to cut them down to 3/4" or so. don't remember having trouble can see that this might make it easier and certainlly more accurate.

Allan: I made up something very similar to cut rings for "dizzy bowls". My cutter a thinner version from Busy Bee but the idea is the same. I use a piece of MDF bolted through the gap in the ways of the lathe on the tailstock side of the Oneway. I set the Oneway Drill jig with the cutter lined up for the first ring, the move the MDF against it, and square the MDF to the ways. This lets me square up the cutter/jig, and sets the distance from the headstock for the first cut. When a cut is finished, I use a strip of MDF the thickness of the ring that I want to space the jig from the MDF "platform". I tighten the jig down in this new place, remove the spacer and move the platform against the jig. I just repeat this for each ring. The platform ensures the jig is square and the spacer ensures that the rings are all the same thickness.
    Last edited by Grant Wilkinson; 02-26-2018 at 5:18 PM.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

If the cutter is square to the banjo, perhaps you could cut a series of setup blocks to use for adjusting the distance between the headstock and the banjo.