Thread: What do I change here

What do I change here

Hello,
    Still very new to the world of CNC and I am not sure what parameter should I change to eliminate this problem. BTW what is terminology for this kind of effect.
    Here it is what I am using and my settings in VCarve:
    bit: Onsrud 52-240 1/8 Upcut DE
    Wood: Maple
    Pocketing 1/2" using "Offset" and "Climb"
    Pass Depth: 0.125
    Spindle Speed: 16000
    Feed Rate:160
    Plunge Rate:30

Any help will be appreciated
    IMG_5106.jpgIMG_5107.jpgIMG_5108.jpgIMG_5109.jpg

Try an initial pass with a down cut spiral. Then switch to your up cut. Also that bit total cel or cutting edge length is 1/2" so you are pushing it.

My inclination is that Mike is correct. I've seen that advise in quite a few situations where clean edges are an issue in all the training and other videos I've been watching while my machine waits to be "born" at the factory. Another thing many folks will do is to do the gross pocket relieve with a slight inward off-set and then come back without the offset for a final climb-cut pass to have clean edges. They may or may not use different tools, depending on the specific situation/material/etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'd ditch the spiral all together and just go with a straight flute mortise bit. No need for the spiral there especially an upcut. Upcuts don't do you a lot of good other than in unique applications in my experience. Even a down shear for the whole thing would be fine if you have one. A down shear will still evacuate chips just fine and help with work holding and not lifting the part. But a plain old straight flute from the box store would be fine.

Ditto, Sargon. I use a downcut spiral about 90% of the time specifically so I don't get the fuzzy edges on top.

David
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

Be careful deep packing the kerf with a drilling pass using a downcut spiral, especially in MDF. The heat it creates can burn the wood and smoulder. I try and use up cut spirals and peck drilling passes that clear the chips.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.