Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Here we go again, cyclone dust collectors, and a new entry too

Eric since you are considering better systems the Clear-Vue Cyclones are the Bill Pentz design.

There is an Australian Woodworking forum that has a Dust Collection area with a lot of good information in it including measuring system performance, ducts, opening machine ports to improve flow and making dust particle counters. More knowledge makes for better DC choices.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Buehler View Post
    I think it would be helpful for everyone to comment on the type they are using and weather they work well, or not...especially if they were one of the 3 that the op asked about. Don't get me wrong, there is some good advice and info if these replies, but why not give real experiences with your machines? I have never personally had a cyclone dc myself, and am also contemplating the grizzly, jet, and Oneida...so replies on these or similar machines would be nice to actually hear about
    I Have the 2 hp Oneida SDG and it works very well. But then I went with a 7" main to keep losses down. Doing it over I would pay the bit extra and go with the 3 hp version. The fan curve numbers are quite a bit higher.
    NOW you tell me...

Eric-

For what its worth I'm building a small shop and will get either the Oneida 3HP or 5HP V-series. I may or may not have them design the ductwork, they are a little more expensive on their ductwork than other places I've found.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Buehler View Post
    I think it would be helpful for everyone to comment on the type they are using and weather they work well, or not...especially if they were one of the 3 that the op asked about. Don't get me wrong, there is some good advice and info if these replies, but why not give real experiences with your machines? I have never personally had a cyclone dc myself, and am also contemplating the grizzly, jet, and Oneida...so replies on these or similar machines would be nice to actually hear about
    I have an Oneida Commercial (white cyclone) with a 2HP Leeson motor. I've had it a couple years. I was about to buy a new 3hp Oneida at the time I came across it used.

7" inlet and main, mostly 6" and 5" drops in a small hobby shop with a basic layout and it works very well. Night and day from the 1.5 HP offshore collector with trash can separator it replaced. I don't have a dylos or anything, this is just based on my observation that fine dust doesn't cover every surface in my shop anymore.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new Oneida in the future. If I ever move into a larger shop I would consider one of their higher HP SDG/V models at the top of my list based on my experience with this one and the support they offered when I had questions even though I bought it used.

I have the same unit, Josh. It's been excellent.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Honestly, if I were to do it again I would buy a Felder RL collector.
    If you're spending that much, might as well get an AL-KO.

I don't know much about smaller units, as the only relatively small DC I've owned was the Harbor Freight, and I clearly wouldn't buy that again. I now own the 5HP Oneida. It's quite the beast, and works amazingly well. It's overkill, in some ways, for my one person shop, but within reason, you really can't have too much suction. It doesn't remove all the very fine airborne dust (that's what air cleaners are for), but it does an excellent job, per my Dylos meter.

I would recommend the Oneida very highly.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.