Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oneida dust drum liner problem

Oneida dust drum liner problem

I installed drum liner and this is what happened, why?

Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jaromir

There is a leak in the system between the drum and the filter, maybe in the drum itself,and judging by the shape of the liner I would guess a pretty big one. You can track it down with an incense stick or similar smoke generator. The cone and drum need to be very tight to keep the coarse chips from winding up in the filter.

It's all brand new system so I guess the drum and lid should be airtight.
    I cannot find any leaks anywhere.
    When I turn it on it will lift drum 2 inches from the ground.

It's all brand new system, so I guess lid and drum should be airtight. I double check everything and I cannot find any leaks.
    When I turn it on it will lift drum 2 inches from the ground.

There is almost surely a leak. My system had enough of a seal to lift the drum but still had enough leaks in various spots to allow for excess blowby of coarse material as shown in the photo of your filter pan. Keep looking.

Drum off the ground there's no issue?

The lifting off the ground is normal until enough dust fills the drum resulting in enough weight to overcome the vacuum produced by the impeller moving air.

The way a cyclone dust collector works is as follows. The motor turns the impeller pulling air through the blades of the impeller and towards the filter, creating a vacuum at the dc runs. The dust is picked and pulled into the chamber where it drops down to enter the center pipe inside the cone. Air then reverses direction to enter the center pipe, it loses velocity and the ability to carry dust decreases dramatically. Gravity takes over and the dust drops into the drum UNLESS there is an air leak in the drum or the connecting tubing to the cone. Any air leaks in the drum, tubing or connections connecting the drum to the cone will result in air flow upwards at a higher velocity than normal (since it doesn't have to reverse direction) carrying the dust through the impeller and on to the filter.

Are you using a cardboard drum? I have a 3HP Oneida Super Dust Gorilla with a cardboard drum and I had air leaks resulting in dust getting to the filter. I used silicon caulk and sealed the metal rims at both ends of the drum and it decreased the air leaks which resulted in less dust getting sent to the filter.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 02-25-2018 at 1:43 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Yes, I am using cardboard drum. It's 5 hp Gorilla pro.
    I'll take closer look to drum.

Thank you.
    Jaromir

BTW... I wouldn't hesitate to contact Oneida about your issues.

Is your drum the smaller drum? If so, you might just try sitting the drum on a heavy garbage/yard bag and pulling the bag up around the sides and over the rim of the drum. You wouldn't have to seal the bag as long as it stays over the rim. If that stops the collapsing, you know the leaks are within the drum. Then you could worry about sealing the leaks in the drum.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 02-25-2018 at 1:47 PM.
    Ken

I send them email yesterday.
    I'm using 55 gallon drum, trash bag go over rim.
    There's weather stripping inside lid where it meets drum.
    It's Oneida drum and lid.
    I also caulk seems on drum like you suggested. I'll let it dry overnight and try tomorrow.
    Thank you.

When you try it, since you have caulked the drum seams, also use some kind of tape over the clamp that clamps the lid to the drum. While there is weather stripping under the clamp, that doesn't guarantee you are getting a perfect seal between the lid and the drum lip. Use duct tape to seal that junction just for test purposes.
    Ken

Doesn't the plastic bag get folded over the drum liner inside of the drum so that the bin lid is tight to the bin? The liner is just there to support the bag so that it doesn't collapse before getting filled with stuff. Hanging anything over that rim could easily cause a leak. The compression closure of the lid to the bin is very, very precise.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

So... I have pretty much the same system, and I fought the exact same problems for months! I have given up on bags within the drum. I just leave the bags out and empty the drum when it gets full. System works great!

I think those who suggested that vacuum leaks were the bag is folded over are the source of the leak. I went so far as to take a caulking tube of black silicone (from the auto parts store) and seal every seam in the drum... I am satisfied that the drum is not leaking! Which leaves the folds in the top of the bag that are the issue. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

I tried the same thing and had no luck either. I even had a plastic sleeve inside the bag and my dust collector sucked the sleeve inward also. I think if you had a sleeve that fit the circumference of the drum but was a little shorter than the drum folded the plastic bag over the top edge then had another sleeve inside the bag that was a perfect fit inside the other sleeve then the lid would seal to the drum it could work.

I even pop riveted my sleeve together to keep it rigid and it did not work. My sleeve was one of those plastic sleeves you use to make a garbage bag stand up to put leaves in in the fall.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Interesting. Ive had zero issues with the drum liner in my 35gal steel drum with my V-3000. I always use a bag in the drum too. Have you called Oneida and told them about it to see if they have any suggestions?
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!