Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oneida dust drum liner problem

Ben, I would be interested in seeing how you have the garbage bag liner in your drum and how you keep it from being sucked inward the the dust collector. V-3000, what brane duct collector is that?
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

George, the "V" systems are Oneida DCs too.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Thanks Ken.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Good luck with your problem. On a side note a cut piece of formica rolled up works really well as a drum liner.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Interesting. Ive had zero issues with the drum liner in my 35gal steel drum with my V-3000. I always use a bag in the drum too. Have you called Oneida and told them about it to see if they have any suggestions?
    I emailed Oneida, they told me I have a leak between lid and drum. I did't have time to check again.
    Jaromir

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    Ben, I would be interested in seeing how you have the garbage bag liner in your drum and how you keep it from being sucked inward the the dust collector. V-3000, what brane duct collector is that?
    Yes as Ken said the V-3000 is an Oneida dust collector. I can try and snap a pic when I'm home later, but mine is setup exactly as shown on the drum liners webpage: LINK or in the Oneida documentation: LINK
    On the second page of that document it talks about how to fix the leak that's probably causing your issue.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I have a V1500 and use a the drum liner collar so that I can merely remove the plastic bag when full. However, I have had similar problems. I can tell you what Oneida's answer will be. The system is designed to be completely sealed and there is a leak somewhere in the system. It may be a tiny leak but a leak nonetheless.
    If you look under documents under the liner (collar) section on Oneida's website, there is an instructions sheet which addresses the issue of a collapsing collar. Finding the actual source of the leak is another matter however. The following are the most likely possibilities:

1. When installing the collar inside of a plastic bag make sure there are no creases in the bag along the top of the drum. These might not seem important but even one crease can allow a tiny amount of air into the drum and that is truly all it takes. Even a tiny amount of air coming in will eventually collapse the collar. I personally think this is the most likely source because the collapsing collar problem is sporadic for me so any other leak would generate the collapse every time not just once in awhile.

2. When sliding the collar into the drum inside of the bag, make every attempt to get all air out from underneath the bag so that it is flat against the bottom of the drum. Again, I think this is really important.

3. When reinstalling the drum lid, be sure that it is truly sealed all the way around. Important, but if the lid is settled on the rim and clamp is tightly shut it shouldn't leak. I also make sure that I put a screw with a nut thought the locking part of the drum lid clamp to make sure it doesn't come loose.

4. Check the connections between the cyclone section and the hose as well as the hose connection to the drum. It most likely isn't this if the clamps are tight but it's worth a shot.

5. If you have Oneida's strobe "full drum" light installed, there are other places leaks can occur. Since it requires a hole to be drilled in the lid to install it is prone to leaking. Oneida has recently sent a gasket that can be installed to avoid this but, since my collar stopped collapsing the last 2 times, I decided to wait to install that.

6. Is the cup under the filter full like that when you open it or after you have blown out the filter or knocked the dust out internally? If it that way before blowing out the filter, then it is clear there is a leak somewhere. When reinstalling the cup, make sure the clamps are secure, but they don't have to be cranked down real tight; just so they seal.

As a summary, I would say that, even if you get the problem solved once, it's very possible that the next time you empty the drum and put it all back together the leak will again be there (which is why I think it is how the bag is installed around the rim which is the leak source). It's a touchy thing and a clear downside to their systems. It's almost easier to dump the barrel each time rather than use a bag (even thought the leak would still be there; just not so important).

While I have used Oneida dust collectors for 25 years, I feel they really fell down on the job providing support on this problem for me. One thing they will suggest is to turn off other equipment that will cause air movement and bring something that gives off some smoke around all the seams. If the smoke is drawn to a particular point, that is where at least one leak is.

Try without the bag. If you still get clogged filters it is a leak someplace. If the filters stay clean then it is the bag to lid seal issue. Get a bag big enough to put over the barrel and invert it to fill the bag.

Oneida sells a vaccum pump that can suck the air between the bag and the drum. This is very helpful when a new bag is installed. I leave it on all the time; it comes on when the cyclone is turned on. I also put some weights on the drum to stop it from being lifted up with a new bag until even shavings get in the bag.

I'm not going to use the bags. I checked for leaks yesterday with smoke and I couldn't find any without bag. It sounds like too much trouble using bags.
    I probably should do more research before I spend $60 on liner.
    Thank you all for your help.

I'm not sure if this was brought up but I believe the issue you're having is due to a leak between the drum and lid. This will happen when you place a bag inside the drum with the extra hanging over the side of the drum. The uneven folds of the bag will create small tiny leaks all around the rim of the bin and will cause your drum liner to collapse. I had the same thing happen to me when I had my Oneida portable dust gorilla. The bin for that DC was held to the lid using just 4 clamps leaving the rest of the rim unsupported. I couldn't get it to work and after having the drum liner collapse about a dozen times, I gave up and stopped using the bags.

I now have an Oneida V3000 and the drum and lid are held in together by a solid ring clamp that covers the entire rim of the drum. The clamp also has a foam gasket on it to further help seal leaks. I'm using the bags with drum liner now with no issues, even with the extra length of the bags overhanging the rim of the drum.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Stockdale View Post
    So... I have pretty much the same system, and I fought the exact same problems for months! I have given up on bags within the drum. I just leave the bags out and empty the drum when it gets full. System works great!

I think those who suggested that vacuum leaks were the bag is folded over are the source of the leak. I went so far as to take a caulking tube of black silicone (from the auto parts store) and seal every seam in the drum... I am satisfied that the drum is not leaking! Which leaves the folds in the top of the bag that are the issue. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...
    I had the same issue and the same solution. I did away with the bags in the drum. Maybe the vacuum pump hose came loose, maybe I didn't have the bag around the rim good, all I know for sure is that I got tired of clogging up my filter and having to clean it out with my leaf blower. I instead got the bin full sensor and it is a pleasant improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie May View Post
    Oneida sells a vaccum pump that can suck the air between the bag and the drum. This is very helpful when a new bag is installed. I leave it on all the time; it comes on when the cyclone is turned on. I also put some weights on the drum to stop it from being lifted up with a new bag until even shavings get in the bag.

Bernie is spot on. I too use bags that are wrapped over the top of the drum under the lid. No bag holder is necessary with the pump. I put the suction end to the bottom of the drum, and the discharge end to the inlet of the cyclone. The pump comes on with the cyclone, and is protected with a 10a 2 pole breaker. This is similar to the pump I’m using. https://www.ebay.com/itm/18w-38L-min...4AAOSwUMxaIkaf