Thread: Shaping Hard Maple Legs

Shaping Hard Maple Legs

C.S. has inspired me to try making some staked furniture. I didn't have any Oak, red/white or otherwise in the wood pile but I did have a hunk of Hard Maple of the correct size for the legs. For the seat I found a piece of Cherry with a kinda live edge that was big enough to use.

Here is the jig/leg holder I'm using to shape the legs. I've two down and the third in the jig is about 80% shaped. BTW, shaping Hard Maple is work .

From the front:

legShapingNumber3180224dscf2402.jpg

From my POV:

legShapingNumber3Rear180224dscf2404.jpg

I'll finish this one and the fourth leg before going to the lathe to do the tenons.

ken

Those are some really nice shavings, i didnt think id ever see a Plane like that outside of Europe, looks to me like an ECE Model but not certain. The Wooden planes are a bit trickier to set up then the Stanleys but once you get the hang of it its really no problem. I gotta say the more i use the Wooden planes the more i like them, probably partly down to 99% of planes being Wooden ones here aswell as the weight.

The Jig reminds me of the ones used in Thicknessers to taper legs, though im certain its more of a workout doing it by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Philipp Jaindl View Post
    Those are some really nice shavings, i didnt think id ever see a Plane like that outside of Europe, looks to me like an ECE Model but not certain. The Wooden planes are a bit trickier to set up then the Stanleys but once you get the hang of it its really no problem. I gotta say the more i use the Wooden planes the more i like them, probably partly down to 99% of planes being Wooden ones here aswell as the weight.

The Jig reminds me of the ones used in Thicknessers to taper legs, though im certain its more of a workout doing it by hand.
    Philipp,

Thanks, You have a good eye. It is a ECE "Jack" plane, frankly I can't see the difference between it and the smoother and both cost $110 USD at Highland. The ECE traditional planes are one of the real woodworking bargains, a new, light, maneuverable, comfortable to hold plane with good iron for just over 100 bucks that works as well as any metal body plane, it is a real no brainer.

Yep, this old guy has to take a few breaks along the way.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Philipp,

Thanks, You have a good eye. It is a ECE "Jack" plane, frankly I can't see the difference between it and the smoother and both cost $110 USD at Highland. The ECE traditional planes are one of the real woodworking bargains, a new, light, maneuverable, comfortable to hold plane with good iron for just over 100 bucks that works as well as any metal body plane, it is a real no brainer.

Yep, this old guy has to take a few breaks along the way.

ken
    The difference between what we call Schlichthobel aka "Jack" Plane and the Putzhobel aka Smoother is for one the Jack has only a simple Iron and Wedge where as a Smoother also has a Chip breaker, the Smoother also usually has a steeper Bed angle 50° instead of 45°, a tighter mouth aswell as being shorter then Jacks.

The real Jackplanes are called Rauhbank and are pretty long probably about 500 to 700mm, theres also a Doppelhobel "Double-plane" literally translated which is just a Schlichthobel with a Chip breaker essentially.

German Plane terminology can get a bit confusing, i hope that clears something up and not make it more confusing.

Really interessting to see the Prices differ so much, i guess its to be expected with imports, a ECE Schlichthobel costs here about 65€ while the US or UK makes are way more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Philipp Jaindl View Post
    The difference between what we call Schlichthobel aka "Jack" Plane and the Putzhobel aka Smoother is for one the Jack has only a simple Iron and Wedge where as a Smoother also has a Chip breaker, the Smoother also usually has a steeper Bed angle 50° instead of 45°, a tighter mouth aswell as being shorter then Jacks.

The real Jackplanes are called Rauhbank and are pretty long probably about 500 to 700mm, theres also a Doppelhobel "Double-plane" literally translated which is just a Schlichthobel with a Chip breaker essentially.

German Plane terminology can get a bit confusing, i hope that clears something up and not make it more confusing.

Really interessting to see the Prices differ so much, i guess its to be expected with imports, a ECE Schlichthobel costs here about 65€ while the US or UK makes are way more expensive.
    Philipp,

The ECE "jack" or smoothing plane is about 90 Euros here in the States.

The State's "Jack" has a cap iron just like the smoother, like I said I can't see much difference between the two if any. Back when I first started working wood I bought a ECE jointer and scrub along with a couple of Record planes, all of which I still use. I also have a ECE coffin smoother with a cap iron, it is a great smoother but I can not find it offered in the States.

ken

Just as I feared, figured, best guessed, I knew it would but did it anyway, the Cherry top split. I don't know if you can see but the top left and bottom right mortises have split almost full length of the top.

topSplit180225dscf2406.jpg

Problem is I didn't have any Poplar or other split resistant wood of the correct size in the wood pile and I did have this Cherry cut off. This was a trial build so what the hell, might as well use the Cherry. The good news is the legs are fine and all I have to do is make another top out of a wood that does not split as easily as Cherry. The other good news is I learned a bit about chair making which bottom line this is about. Baby steps dontcha know.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Just as I feared, figured, best guessed, I knew it would but did it anyway, the Cherry top split. I don't know if you can see but the top left and bottom right mortises have split almost full length of the top.

topSplit180225dscf2406.jpg

Problem is I didn't have any Poplar or other split resistant wood of the correct size in the wood pile and I did have this Cherry cut off. This was a trial build so what the hell, might as well use the Cherry. The good news is the legs are fine and all I have to do is make another top out of a wood that does not split as easily as Cherry. The other good news is I learned a bit about chair making which bottom line this is about. Baby steps dontcha know.

ken
    From the photo, I suspect there was a good reason the thing was an off-cut. On the other hand, I have to ask: have you thought about a repair with a bit of epoxy? And if you do, make up enough to do something with that knot, too.

It's all fun.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

Quote Originally Posted by James Waldron View Post
    From the photo, I suspect there was a good reason the thing was an off-cut. On the other hand, I have to ask: have you thought about a repair with a bit of epoxy? And if you do, make up enough to do something with that knot, too.

It's all fun.
    Jim,

Yep, there was a reason. That was also why I used it, this was more about process than finishing a build.

It's cold here in the desert today, I expect that hunk of Cherry will be very good at warming my hands and backside.

ken