Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Duct size for Clear Vue 1800

I took some pictures for you but excuse the dust. I'm using a 2" vacuum on it until I get the CV-Max setup, but it was no better when I had the 4" hose to a 3hp DC. There are two shots are from the top showing the chute around the blade with the blade raised and lowered. Two more from the underside of the extension table also blade raised and lowered. You can see that the top of the chute is not touching the top and dust gets out from around it into the cabinet. You can also see how much the hose is made into a very tight radius but it can't be shortened to straighten it because the hose won't be long enough when the blade is tilted. If one still didn't want to cut a bigger hole in the base the belt access door on the left side of the saw could be replaced with a panel and hole for another port in it. That would help scavenge the dust in the cabinet but it's half way up so there would probably be some larger dust settling on the bottom.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks, Peter.

I have an "open" shroud around the blade on my General 650. The first pic is the 4" port below the access door, which is open. That port is a 6" run from a 6" main run from a Jet 1100 C. Does virtually nothing. Second shot is from same direction, but closer and higher. You can see the cast iron shroud around the blade. The bottom of the shroud is a 3" X 12" opening. ofThe other side of the shroud has a similar open profile, which you can see, looking down from the table top.
    I'm thinking of hooking an HVAC transition fitting to a 4" round and enlarging the machine port to 6" when I get my CV 1800 (16").
    IMG_0680.jpg IMG_0679.jpg IMG_0678.jpg

Makes you wonder if the designers at General weren't talking to each other. The guy doing the trunnion wanting a 6" hose to the shroud (36 sq ") since the area is close to the 28 sq " area of the hose but the guy doing the cabinet did 4" because they had the parts and tooling for 4". Was there ever another piece below the shroud on those saws?

Are you going to have a pipe going to a blade guard too? Or just doing an under cabinet pipe? With my CV-Max I can run a 6" under and another 6" over the saw.

There was never another piece. I think when I bought it, any 4" port anywhere was considered big.
    Yeah, I need to build a blade guard, too. I'll run 4" to that. The Shark Guard stuff is very nicely made, but a little steep in price.
    I think it's a fair price for the quality, but a lot to spend on a blade guard.