Thread: micro propane torch

micro propane torch

I would like to buy a micro torch but all I see are butane. Butane is 3-4 times the price of propane and due to druggies using it it is becoming harder to find in California. So does anyone make small propane torches that can be refilled? All I could find have hoses and use a full size bottle and are too big for my needs.
    Bill D.

Like this: LINK?

EDIT, sorry just realized you were looking for a propane one. Yea never seen that other than this kind: LINK
    Last edited by Ben Rivel; 02-24-2018 at 2:31 PM.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

A butane refill is $5. How much do you use that $5 is cost prohibitive?

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    A butane refill is $5. How much do you use that $5 is cost prohibitive?
    He lives in California it may be a lot higher and harder to get there. Just like trying to buy spray paint in Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Plummer View Post
    Hey, I like that one! I used to have a micro torch that used oxygen - I think it was oxy-propane but can't remember - but it used tiny non-reusable cylinders the size used in paint guns. I already have small oxygen and acetylene tanks for larger torches and this thread got me thinking about how useful another very small torch would be. Thanks!

I didn't see where the OP mentioned the intended use. For me, having hoses and tanks wouldn't be a problem.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Hey, I like that one! I used to have a micro torch that used oxygen - I think it was oxy-propane but can't remember - but it used tiny non-reusable cylinders the size used in paint guns. I already have small oxygen and acetylene tanks for larger torches and this thread got me thinking about how useful another very small torch would be. Thanks!

I didn't see where the OP mentioned the intended use. For me, having hoses and tanks wouldn't be a problem.

JKJ
    I bought one of those micro torches for my oxy acetylene setup. It was just the torch, I connected it to my regular hoses. Only problem is that it is a bit difficult to light - I have to have the oxygen and acetylene set up just right to light it. Only used it a few times for a specific application I had a the time but it worked fine. It was a long time ago so I can't give you any pointers to where I bought it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Pretty big jump from a disposable butane torch to oxy-fuel (usually acetylene) torches. But I was taking welding classes and researching torches for home, so...:

Smith is a well regarded brand of torch. (They were independent, but have been acquired by the parent company that owns Miller Electric. Some complaints their warranty slipped and the previous Smith's warranty isn't being fully honored by the new Smith. But no complaints you don't get what you are sold now.) Searching the web, lots of people sell the Little Torch each in various bundles. Quickly scanning the ads, there is a version that uses propane, but the ads aren't clear if that's a different model or the torch is capable of both and just the accessories change. Note the accessories aren't compatible. E.g. Propane & Acetylene regulators are different and most Acetylene hoses can't be used with Propane. (Type T Propane hoses work for Acetylene, but aren't in most Acetylene kits to keep the cost down!)

There are other small torches, maybe search "jeweler's torches" for a survey. The Meco Midget seems particularly well regarded and is recommended for light welding, e.g. sheet metal, work. (And is probably overkill for OP. I guess.) Harris & Victor are traditional welding torch companies that have also survived the corporate mergers. I also see Goss with the jeweler torches, I don't recall their torches, but their regulators got recommendations.

OP would probably be more interested in fuel-air torches, judging by the butane torch he asks about. I know less about these, but there are many many varieties of these too. They range from small soldering torches to rather large (e.g. for roof tarring.)

Oh, everything above requires a tank of some sort. The smallest propane torches use fairly heavy tanks. IIRC- those aren't available in refillable anymore. (Something about the newest safety valves take too much volume to fit!?!!) I think the 20# (6 gal?) BBQ type tanks are the smallest you can refill now. I'd definitely want a hose with one of those.

I live in California and Butane may get outlawed soon. They are already working to reduce bulk sales. Lye is banned already. Butane and lye is used to make drugs. That Is why I think propane make sense for me. I suppose I could use a POL torch and hose. I think I can dig up my father's air/ng bench torch.
    No real use in mind for me. just general small stuff. I do refill the small propane tanks from my BBQ tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    ... No real use in mind for me. just general small stuff....
    How about the generic HW store propane torch then? E.g. Bernzomatic TS4000, or Bigger, or less frills. These use standard cylinders (and you can get conversion hoses to hook them to the BBQ tanks too.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    ... I do refill the small propane tanks from my BBQ tanks.
    Be careful. I forget the details, because I wasn't planning to do it, but there's something about the refillable "standard" (400g) small cylinders that doesn't meet current refilling standard. I think it is they use an overflow vent instead of an overflow sensing valve and will spill if over-filled, but that memory is vague.

I have this torch kit from bernzomatic. Purchased it about 20 year ago and forgot I have it till I read this post.
    As you can tell for the link. The thing eats oxygen like crazy. So fast you dont have much time to adjust your flame before it dies. After a few $10 tanks, I put it in the box and never seen the light of day again.

https://www.bernzomatic.com/Products...ition/WK5500OX
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale