Thread: Odd project to apply finish

Odd project to apply finish

I am making lanterns and the size of the half lapped lattice panels are 5" wide by 7.5" high. They are 3/16 thick.
    I would normally use Watco natural for small projects but I think it may be to thick. The first coat should be good, just can't
    imagine getting it out of the windows. I would rather not use Q tips.

I also thought about Generals "Salad bowl finish" as it seems to be a thinner product than Watco. Any larger items I would
    use spray Lacquer.

The wood is VG Western Red Cedar. Any Ideas?

Thanks, Robert20180109_201758_resized_1.jpg
    Epilog Mini 24-45W, Corel Draw X6, Photoshop CS5, Multi Cam CNC

I have been thinking about this. Since you have spray lacquer available, I would use that. Thin it down 40 or 50% as you will have to spray from 4 directions to get full coverage and this will keep the film thickness under control. Set up 6 or 8 at a time so you have a reasonable area to spray. Set them up on sticks or spikes so that you have a good air gap under them as you will get a lot of air needing to pass through the holes. 2 coats should be enough for cedar. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Are you thinking that the Watco will film between the frames? My first thought, considering the small, size was to simply dip them in the thinned out finish of your choice. Set them to dry flat on pins. Maybe even give them a wash of air with a hair dryer, or the like, set on cool to make certain that no bubbles are clinging to the gaps. I think dipping in oil will be easier than spraying lacquer. The coverage will be more even than what you would get with spraying - inevitably there will be over spray, so thick and thin areas. Might be worth an experiment.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Murdoch View Post
    Are you thinking that the Watco will film between the frames? My first thought, considering the small, size was to simply dip them in the thinned out finish of your choice. Set them to dry flat on pins. Maybe even give them a wash of air with a hair dryer, or the like, set on cool to make certain that no bubbles are clinging to the gaps. I think dipping in oil will be easier than spraying lacquer. The coverage will be more even than what you would get with spraying - inevitably there will be over spray, so thick and thin areas. Might be worth an experiment.
    Dip and dunk with a good shake to remove excess. Dry flat, screws through a board so piece rests on screw points.

Thin the finish a bit and two coats at least. Let it sit a moment the first time to "soak in".
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Wayne-
    I have not thought about thinning the top coat. I always make a special set up on long screws as the air venting is very important. Will give it a try.
    Thanks.

Sam-
    Yes I am thinking the same that the Watco will film between the frames. I use paint triangles to allow them to dry. Will try the thinning and use compressed
    air to clear the small openings. I am thinking to give them a coat of Watco as the first coat in always easy and I love the color it leaves behind.
    Thanks

Rob-
    Thanks for your thoughts, I am anxious to give it a go, tomorrow is all goes well. Here is a project I did for my partners memorial. Took 3 weeks to apply the finish. Wet sanding between the 4 coats of Watco. Paint triangles can be your friend when doing 60 pieces at the same time.
    20170721_185451_resized_1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Robert L Stewart View Post
    Rob-
    Thanks for your thoughts, I am anxious to give it a go, tomorrow is all goes well. Here is a project I did for my partners memorial. Took 3 weeks to apply the finish. Wet sanding between the 4 coats of Watco. Paint triangles can be your friend when doing 60 pieces at the same time.
    20170721_185451_resized_1.jpg
    Lotta triangles! I have maybe a dozen but mostly I use "nail boards" made by running drywall screws through and resting on the point. Big box o' screws makes a lot of nail boards. Also been using carpet tack-strips for same purpose. Those work great for spraying large/long things that work best supported across the top of some saw-horses. Cheap too.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

I applied the first coat of Watco (thinned 50% with mineral spirits). Everything went well. Even with the thinner oil could not have done it with out
    compressed air to clear the small openings.
    20180227_175832_resized.jpg20180227_175240_resized.jpg

Here is the final result. One coat of natural Watco oil thinned 50% with mineral spirits. Two coats of Lacquer sealer thinned 40%. The removable lid (magnets) has
    a floating look suspended on metal rods that allows light to spill out. The lens is light amber Mica. The finish has the look of hand rubbed wax, a soft but
    smooth feel with very little sheen but just the right amount of protection. 20180329_192427_resized.jpg

Lovely! Nicely done.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge