Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one?

All capital letters or more than one question mark or exclamation point in a row in the title tell me that I need to move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Heavens, no. And the only forums I scan for interesting content are "Off Topic Forum", "General Woodworking and Power Tools", and "Workshops", maybe once a month I might check out "Finishing". It is just that my "trigger" topics tend to make me moan or I am going to sound like a broken record if I chime in (as in PVC vs snapock duct). I try to contribute where I can, but now I often find that what I have to contribute has already been said, although I might second someone's opinion if it mirrors what I was going to say.
    Well there you go. Those are the same forums I look at. Maybe once every few months I will look at finishing or projects, but not much else. I find myself getting bored by most things anymore, bored really easily. Just don't have the patience for many things any more.
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck

I tend to pass up on anything that has the words sharp or metal and any derivatives there of
    Jim

I avoid the sharpening threads where there are so many experts.

I check
    - any replies to threads I've posted in,
    - most threads in Turning,
    then scan down the list of new posts for anything that catches my eye. I always take a look at anything new posted in carving, musical instruments, metalworking, and a couple of other specialty forums.

Threads I usually skip:
    - those from CNC and Engraving
    - about hand tool sharpening
    - with a title like "CompanyName xy256" with just the model number of some machine I don't recognize
    - with a title like "I need assistance" with no hint of the problem (unless they are in Turning)
    - new threads with dozens of messages - to much to read
    - how do I price _____?
    - what's the best _____? (without clarifying the intended use)

For me it’s the “what kind of wood is this” threads.

Quote Originally Posted by James Waldron View Post
    The best use of limited time to learn woodworking is to work in the shop, as I see it. To me, the forum and other on-line sources can supplement and extend experience, but not replace it. Too much time on-line, in my estimation, will inhibit real learning and accomplishment. Don't be an armchair woodworker!
    This is some excellent advice!

It's a normal thing for each of us to visit those forum areas that interest us most and open/read threads that appear also be interesting or applicable to what we do in our shops. I do read a lot of threads that are "not my cup of tea", but that's because of my moderation "job". My own, personal interests are generally served in GW&PT, Workshops, OT, Finishing, Woodworking (finished) Projects and CNC.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I like to see the old threads get revived. Not the what table saw is best but the ones about what handtool is best as five years late the top tools may no longer be even made and new one shave come into being. Some nice tools are no longer made in the USA and is the China version any better then the no name ones for 1/4 the price.
    many craftsman wrenches are now made in china and just feel cheap. While the made in Mexico stuff is okay for now. But honestly the made in china stuff from harbor Freight is as good or better then a lot of the sears craftsman made in China stuff today. Ten years ago not that way all.
    I also like when people add to old threads about fixing stuff because people still have the old stuff and it still breaks and needs to be repaired the same way.

If we're talking pet peeves here...
    Maybe it's just me being OCD, but I find it annoying how so many people seem to disregard the original poster's question when they give answers and advice. For example, right now there is a thread on the general forum where the guy asked his question in bold "How do I cut small parts on a SCMS that cannot be easily held" and answers range from "do it on a table saw with a crosscut sled" to "go get a backsaw and miter box".

Another similar recent one was where a guy asked how to perform an operation with the doweling jig he already owns, and he was told to go buy a Festool Domino.

Edwin

Like I say, maybe it's just me.

They don't make my eye twitch, but I'm not interested in CNC. I do wish that the New Posts functionality had a way of including/excluding certain forums.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Excluding/including certain forums

Quote Originally Posted by John Sanford View Post
    They don't make my eye twitch, but I'm not interested in CNC. I do wish that the New Posts functionality had a way of including/excluding certain forums.

Thomas Banks wrote instructions on how to do this on 8/8/2016:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You can filter the new posts. I have a link set up like this:

NOTE: I put a space in the “https” so that it would show the URL as text and not as a link. As a link, it shortens them and you don’t see the full text.
    ht tps://www.sawmillcreek.org/search.php?do=getnew&contenttype=vBForum_Post&excl ude=8,12,3,20,4,43,42,57,23,13,38,35,17,34,0

If you look at the links for the various sections, they’re all like this:

ht tps://www.sawmillcreek.org/forumdisplay.php?7-Forum-Tech-Support
    ht tps://www.sawmillcreek.org/forumdisplay.php?39-Lumber-Yard

That number in red is what you use to exclude a forum. Just use the numbers of the forums you wish to exclude from your search (such as Engraving, as you mention) and the link will search only the forums you frequent for new posts.

ht tps://www.sawmillcreek.org/forumdisplay.php?8-Engravers-Forum

You can also change “exclude” to “include” and put the numbers in for the forums that you want to see, but then if Keith happens to add a forum you won’t see it. If you use “exclude” you’ll see posts from any new forums - until you decide you want to exclude it as well.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You could be.
    Bill D

"What species of wood is this?" Threads.

I always get them wrong?
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

15. How 'bout a new thread titled Curmudgeos Unite! Since most curmudgeons are like me, 60+ years old, the thread will be self limiting as time goes by...