Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one?

Blog Entries

Am I the only one?

Am I the only one that sees certain subjects and just skips by them? Not out of lack of interest, but they just make my eye twitch. For me triggers are Festool and PVC duct. What are your triggers?
    NOW you tell me...

Mine is : "Here's a video of my project build."

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    Mine is : "Here's a video of my project build."
    Agreed. "Pictures or it didn't happen" doesn't mean I want to watch a movie.

Any thread that has Festool or cutting board in the title.

Festool and Sawstop for me

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Am I the only one that sees certain subjects and just skips by them? Not out of lack of interest, but they just make my eye twitch. For me triggers are Festool and PVC duct. What are your triggers?
    That's interesting, are you saying that normally you'd read all of the threads otherwise? I tend to just look at the handful of ones I think I can contribute to.

PVC duct and Sawstop are certainly not in that category.

Blog Entries
    Disclaimer: No offense and I truly mean that Ole. I always appreciate your contributions and insights on things. The following is about the subject being discussed and is not a snipe at anyone.

I tend to skip by those threads with fairly non-descriptive titles. Titles like "Check this out", "Holy Cow", "Would you ever", and so forth often get passed by. I am recovering from eye surgery and am extremely bored or I would have passed up "Am I the Only One?" as well. During my re-coop, I can't tell you how much good content I have found that would otherwise have been lost to me simply because the thread title was something like "What do you think?".

I should include that I also skip any threads I don't think I can add value to or get value from; turning or CNC threads are an example as I don't turn nor care much about CNC right now. The point is that I have no idea if "One of Those Days" has anything in it I could add value to or get value from and I'm not inclined to open every randomly titled thread to see what the heck the person is talking about. Not to mention they are pretty worthless when searching for the topic being discussed

Now having said all that I will surly find some thread of my own that had some title like "How about this?". Non-descriptive thread titles, in part, may be the result of things like Facebook where people visit 7 times a day and are steeped in the conversation over time. I think of a forum (and that doesn't make me right) as an informational archive. This is where people will search for info on a drum sander technique or a tablesaw jig literally years after the thread has gone idle. A really cool router jig in a thread with a title like "Its Me Again" died the moment people stopped actively posting to it.

JMHO and I'm cranky from falling behind in the shop. I apologize in advance if I have offended anyone
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-24-2018 at 11:22 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I will look at members projects, threads I have an interest in, ones that I can contribute to, and ones that I can learn from.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I guess I'm just odd. I try to at least scan everything I can in the General Forum since I have so much to learn & so little time left to learn it.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    I guess I'm just odd. I try to at least scan everything I can in the General Forum since I have so much to learn & so little time left to learn it.
    The best use of limited time to learn woodworking is to work in the shop, as I see it. To me, the forum and other on-line sources can supplement and extend experience, but not replace it. Too much time on-line, in my estimation, will inhibit real learning and accomplishment. Don't be an armchair woodworker!
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    I will look at members projects, threads I have an interest in, ones that I can contribute to, and ones that I can learn from.
    This pretty much sums up my overall experience and intent. I came to SMC to read, learn, and hopefully contribute to this community of woodworkers on subjects relating, more-or-less, directly to...woodworking. Outside of that I'm not too interested in side discussions that don't relate to this craft (though admittedly I do participate in some from time to time).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    That's interesting, are you saying that normally you'd read all of the threads otherwise?
    Heavens, no. And the only forums I scan for interesting content are "Off Topic Forum", "General Woodworking and Power Tools", and "Workshops", maybe once a month I might check out "Finishing". It is just that my "trigger" topics tend to make me moan or I am going to sound like a broken record if I chime in (as in PVC vs snapock duct). I try to contribute where I can, but now I often find that what I have to contribute has already been said, although I might second someone's opinion if it mirrors what I was going to say.
    NOW you tell me...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Disclaimer: No offense and I truly mean that Ole. I always appreciate your contributions and insights on things. The following is about the subject being discussed and is not a snipe at anyone.

I tend to skip by those threads with fairly non-descriptive titles. Titles like "Check this out", "Holy Cow", "Would you ever", and so forth often get passed by. I am recovering from eye surgery and am extremely bored or I would have passed up "Am I the Only One?" as well. During my re-coop, I can't tell you how much good content I have found that would otherwise have been lost to me simply because the thread title was something like "What do you think?".

I should include that I also skip any threads I don't think I can add value to or get value from; turning or CNC threads are an example as I don't turn nor care much about CNC right now. The point is that I have no idea if "One of Those Days" has anything in it I could add value to or get value from and I'm not inclined to open every randomly titled thread to see what the heck the person is talking about. Not to mention they are pretty worthless when searching for the topic being discussed

Now having said all that I will surly find some thread of my own that had some title like "How about this?". Non-descriptive thread titles, in part, may be the result of things like Facebook where people visit 7 times a day and are steeped in the conversation over time. I think of a forum (and that doesn't make me right) as an informational archive. This is where people will search for info on a drum sander technique or a tablesaw jig literally years after the thread has gone idle. A really cool router jig in a thread with a title like "Its Me Again" died the moment people stopped actively posting to it.

JMHO and I'm cranky from falling behind in the shop. I apologize in advance if I have offended anyone

Ah, but the title made you look! No offense taken whatsoever! Once in a while I start a whimsical thread and use a title that is so goofy, you just have to see what it is about. Like click bait. If I pose a question, I will carefully craft the title.
    NOW you tell me...

Sawstop..... Any time that subject comes up, there will be heated arguments. Too many people in this country don't understand the difference between the meaning of the words, "discussion, debate and preaching". Two of those three words result in a winner and a loser.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Threads that rehash something we've gone over a number of times before. Examples: which track saw, Sawstop, hand tool sharpening and many new member questions. (I know that's often how folks find us but I've stopped reading them). I've probably authored a few rehash threads myself.

Things I don't think I will ever buy. (Disclaimer: Doesn't make them "bad". I just don't read them.) Examples: Festool, Euro WW machinery, really nice router tables, etc.

Threads that go on and on long after the horse is dead. Example: The Glowforge thread is 2 yrs old and has 1600+ replies. I don't think either side in that argument is convincing the other.

Guess I'm getting to be a curmudgeon ......
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 02-24-2018 at 7:05 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”