Thread: Sorry guys it's me again 🙄 bandsaw ?

Sorry guys it's me again 🙄 bandsaw ?

I recently asked you all about the minmax s45 with the 3.6 CEG motor. I'll have the cash tommorow to make an offer if I want. It's asking price is $1000, your advice was offer $600-$800.
    Tonight I was reading your posts and I could see where someone mentioned that there was a good walker-turner 16" bandsaw for sale at a reasonable price. I had seen it. It looked real old and they were asking $750 so I ignored it. Well being as I'll have$1000 in my pocket I took a closer look. It looks really well made. The model number is 22-639. It says it a 16". It's got a metal stand with several pulleys to adjust the speed. I thought hmm Louis Iturra from Iturra designs said the saws weight is your friend. I looked it up and (if I read it correctly) someone said 900 pounds. We they joking 😲. If weight is your friend this is the friendliest saw ever made. As I was getting ready to click off of the ad I see that the last line of his ad said reduced to $500 OBO. 🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑. What to do, what to do. I've pestered you guys enough o know but I don't have the experience you have. I could get this and have $500 to fix it up or buy another tool🤩🤩. If you want to see the ad look at Redding CA Craigslist. Im going to try and tag Peter Kelly and Jim Becker
    Last edited by Brian Byers; 02-24-2018 at 1:04 PM. Reason: Better title needed

900 lbs. seems a little heavy. OWWM has it at about 500lbs. Still a significant amount of weight for a 16" bandsaw. Walker Turner offered different machine setups within a product number, so maybe there is something else to it. You almost literally need one of their old catalogs to correctly identify their drill presses.
    Only looking at the pictures it looks interesting. I like the stepped pulley arrangement in the back of the saw. Not something you'll need for wood working, but it's pretty cool.
    It looks to be principally intact and as long as there is no significant amount of repair needed, it could be a good find.
    Can you look at the saw and see it running? If it's running, and the blade is tracking true, you're half way there. Next would be the bearings. Are they smooth, and quiet.
    Look under the table at the trunnions and make sure they're not cracked, or damaged.
    Take for granted that you'll need to replace the guide bearings. If you don't, bonus. but be prepared.

My personal take?
    I have a thing for Walker Turner. I love the Art Deco design of their machines and the older WT machines are bullet proof as long as they haven't been abused.
    You will not buy a better saw for $500 new than that Walker Turner. It's just a matter of how much you actually need a band saw, and how much work it will need. If that's a fully functional Walker Turner band saw, you should seriously consider buying it.
    It won't stay for sale long at that price. Some one will buy for it's parts, or to restore it. I promise.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 02-24-2018 at 8:22 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

As long as you can get part for it, or source them. $500 is fair
    Offer $350

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Howe View Post
    As long as you can get part for it, or source them. $500 is fair
    Offer $350
    Andrew
    Any parts would have to come off another machine being parted out, or have them made.
    This machine is probably close to 70 years old.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Walker Turner equipment is highly regarded over at OWWM. I had a WT belt/disk sander; it was very well made and not too difficult to restore; I sold it when I moved as it was actually a little small for what I needed.

The biggest problem with WT equipment is they had a habit of using relatively odd size ball bearings. The bearings were not uncommon when the machines were built, but many if not most of them are no longer available. When I rebuilt the sander I had to fabricate a new shaft for it both because the old one was worn, and also because the original size bearings were not available for it. Sometimes you can find new old stock, but the grease in them will be 30-50 years old.

Interesting post, and I hope it works out for you.

I wish the title were more descriptive, however. I scan the titles to see which threads I want to read, and it helps a lot if they're descriptive.

Marc, I guess I should have been more clear on what I was talking about. It was 2 am, I was tired and I've already asked so many questions about band saws I felt bad for asking more questions

If that bandsaw needs $500 worth of fixing, I'd keep shopping.

Avoid bottom feeding. Look for a quality machine, in excellent condition, at a fair price.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

I looked at the Cl ad and it's a metal and wood cutting saw. I think you should pass and keep looking there's plenty of bandsaws for sale here in California 1000 bucks will get you a lot of saw. Unless you want a metal and wood saw just seems silly to me.
    Aj

maybe $200-300 worth if it was a delta 14". But Redding probably has few tools to buy unless you drive south to the bay area. Make sure the trunnons are not broken and do not lift by the table or lie it down on the table. make sure the blade guides are all there. I would remove the table before moving as they are top heavy.
    Walker Turner drill presses can use custom bearings. My 20" was all pretty standard stuff. My 15" used custom extended race bearings that supposedly NTN still has. I had to do some machine work and adapt to modern bearing size on one pulley. that was a little confusing because the outer race had the normal marking numbers. I think they were new departure brand which makes it hard to get interchange numbers.

https://redding.craigslist.org/tls/d...473578494.html

Here's a similar one near me. And I'd go ask owwm whether the upper and lower wheel bearings are still available. Be careful with the one your looking at: "as is where is" might mean a restoration project.

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/...507547059.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Ramsey View Post
    Here's a similar one near me. And I'd go ask owwm whether the upper and lower wheel bearings are still available. Be careful with the one your looking at: "as is where is" might mean a restoration project.

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/...507547059.html
    Nice looking band saw.
    I've been seeing some nice equipment coming up for sale in the Philadelphia area Craigslist recently.
    I might have to take a trip down there.

I think your first decision should be whether you want a bandsaw to use now, or a bandsaw rebuilding project. Or, more simply stated...how much extra time do you have?
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I sent 3 messages to the seller and I just got a message a little while ago saying it sold.