Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electric Chain Saw Sharpener

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    Doug, I used mine yesterday and used it also for the rakers. I set the depth by trial and error until it was right and then locked it in. Then with my left hand I pulled the bottom of the chain loop to make it tight and rotated the chain under the grinder wheel. I ended up with all of the rakers the same height. Then I used a little dremel tool to soften the nose/leading edge a bit. The operation is a little clumsy but it works and gives consistent results.
    I find it easy to use a grinding wheel in a dremel to both lower and shape the depth gauges as needed.

The saw and chain makers recommend using a gauge to check the depth gauges on the chain and dress the with a file. https://www.amazon.com/Oregon-Chain-.../dp/B001SCQ6PC

I do use the little gauge to check but grind instead of file. Don't tell anyone but I sometimes lower them a little more than recommended on my smaller saws since I prefer a more aggressive cut. Use caution. Stihl warns that "improper lowering of the depth gauges may increase the chance and the potential energy of a kickback." They say this three times in some manuals.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    Doug, I used mine yesterday and used it also for the rakers. I set the depth by trial and error until it was right and then locked it in. Then with my left hand I pulled the bottom of the chain loop to make it tight and rotated the chain under the grinder wheel. I ended up with all of the rakers the same height. Then I used a little dremel tool to soften the nose/leading edge a bit. The operation is a little clumsy but it works and gives consistent results.
    I saw a video on using the HF sharpener to do the rakers in a Google search, but didn't take the time to watch it. I don't file them every time; just when it seems like I need more bite. I'll look into this though. Thanks for the tip.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Have had one for years (HF) and while I don't typically like any of their tools, the saw sharpener has been great with no regrets

I tried one and wasn't impressed with it.

Northern Tool sells one that's 10x nicer for about $70 when it's on sale and you use one of their coupons.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...3874_200673874