Thread: How to Raise Height of Tablesaw - Add 3 inches

How to Raise Height of Tablesaw - Add 3 inches

Hi,

I want to raise the height of my Unisaw - from the current 34" - up to 37"
    Here is a picture I saw somewhere here on Saw Mill Creek - this is exactly what I have built for my Unisaw.
    I will also put 3-inch blocks under the legs of the right-extension and outfeed table legs.

Unisaw Platform.jpg

The Question I have is - How to "Jack Up" or "Lift" the Unisaw to get the saw up onto the platform?

The saw weighs a few hundred pounds, so how to do it?

I can think of about 3 different ways to do this - not sure which is the best way.

Option 1 - Use a couple heavy handy-man jacks - one on either side and crank them up together.

Option 2 - Use 2 sets of Cinder Blocks and 2 bottle jacks - one on either side - crank them up together.

Option 3 - After un-bolting the extension table and outfeed table - just use a couple friends to "tip" the Unisaw back and "slide" the new platform under the front, then "shimmy" or "walk" and "slide" the Unisaw until it is aligned on top of the new platform.

I have drawn and attached 2 very crude Sketchup Drawings to show possibly what may be done.

Delta Unisaw - HandyMan Jack.pdf

Delta Unisaw with Bottle Jack2.pdf

If anyone has attempted this - I would like to know your thoughts

Thanks Alot

Nate
    Last edited by Nate Secrist; 02-23-2018 at 8:18 PM. Reason: Edited the original post - picture wasn't showing up

For some reason I can't see the attachment. I have a late '80s unisaw with a 52" capacity fence and a cast iron wing on the left side with a 1.5 HP motor. I don't know what it weighs, or if it's heavier or lighter than your unisaw. I recently needed to put it up on dollys (about 5" high) to move it out of the way for my new slider. I lifted the end of the rip fence table and pushed a dolly under the legs with my foot. Then I went to the other end with the cast iron wing and picked it up and swung it over onto another dolly I had sitting right next to it. You need to do it in that order or you have to lift the heavy end much higher to clear the dolly when the extension legs are sitting on the ground. I didn't find it particularly hard to do. It should be easy with another person helping.

Option three works for me. It's not that heavy of a saw actually.
    You could progressively block it up on 2x4's an inch and a half at a time.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I easily raised mine by myself without the extension table. Wings and even fence rails attached are fine as the saw isn’t really that heavy. Rock it back toward you until you find the balance point, kick a block under the raised end and set the saw back down on it. Lift the low end up and kick a block under. Adjust blocks as needed and you’re done.

Matt's way will work just fine. That is how I raised my saw.

Use a Johnson bar to lift one side up onto a piece of plywood or 2x4. Then do the opposite side and back an forth until it is high enough to slide the base under it or to slide it over onto the new base.
    Bill

3" equals 4 layers of 3/4" ply or particle board (my choice). I rocked my SS on to it as described above...alone, when I was 72. No problem, done safely. Matching platform for table legs.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

4 friends lifting straight up. 1 12-pack of beer. Or maybe 2.

Find a friend with an engine crane or rent one. Handy as all get out if you need to lift things. Link below is what I mean.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/4000-LBS-Eng...o4Q_GNnQEpCByg

I have a granite extension table so it is much heavier then a normal unisaw, I had 4 or 5 people come over and we just lifted it up. Took maybe 30 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by cody michael View Post
    ...I had 4 or 5 people come over and we just lifted it up. Took maybe 30 seconds.
    So, one 12-pack or two?

It isn't the worst idea to break the saw down. Removing the top gives you an opportunity to do a thorough cleaning and inspection. Reassembly is easy. Truing up the blade can be a tedious. You can tip the base pretty easily and kinda walk it up onto the stand. Have your wife on hand so she can tell yo the correct way to do it.