Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Putting up tile over sheetrock.....

If someone counts on the grout to seal their shower (I wouldn't), then they absolutely must seal the grout properly before use and again and again according to the directions on the bag. I have seen too many shower failures to trust grout alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hollingsworth View Post
    Epoxy Grout. (not easy)
    Whistle all the way home.
    I wouldn't recommend anyone without lots of previous experience try to use this stuff. Epoxy grout is super tough but extremely unforgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    You'll want to choose a pre-made commercial composite pan or a full, built-up "mortar" base. The former is easier and faster for DIY; the latter is, well, "more rock solid" and more flexible with drain location and type. (I've become a fan of slot-drains, even though none of our showers have them) The other benefit of the built-up base is that it can be constructed to be rim-less or almost rim-less for easier access over time, depending on the space available for the shower.
    The Kerdi system by Schluter has largely replaced the old school mud bases for showers. Available as parts for custom sizes and prefabricated pans: https://www.schluter.com/schluter-us...trates/c/SS-PS

Also, the Kerdi system is meant to be installed over green/blue board or (preferably) cement board: https://sccpublic.s3-external-1.amaz...20Handbook.pdf

I've done a few showers with this, no leaks after several years usage.

That is 3 votes for the Schluter system (if I counted correctly).

Thanks, Peter...I wasn't aware of that Schluter product. Good to know should I ever have to do another shower...which I hope not!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Murdoch View Post
    You guys are making me doubt that I understand the OP's question:
    Yes. It did seem to be totally mis-understood.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night