Thread: Guard & Splitter Assy on Powermatic 66. Is it worth it. Also Incra Fence. Modify?

1. Guard & Splitter Assy on Powermatic 66. Is it worth it. Also Incra Fence. Modify?

IncraFenceGuardSplitter 1.jpgIncraFenceGuardSplitter 2.jpgIncraFenceGuardSplitter 3.jpg
    I have a Powermatic 66 and it came with the Guard and Splitter assy. I have never used it but am interested in using it now. This is the factory splitter. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it worth it to use it or does it get in the way too much?
    To make matters more complicated I have an Incra Table Saw fence mounted on the saw and for me to use the Guard and Splitter I would need to hacksaw part of the Incra rail.
    So what I am looking for is someone who has actually installed this factory Guard and Rail splitter on their P66 and has some input as to whether it is a good device or it gets in the way too much.
    Thank you for your help.
    Last edited by Bob Feeser; 02-22-2018 at 9:11 PM.
    "Fine is the artist who loves his tools as well as his work."

With the Incra fence I ended up going with the Delta Uniguard as it mounted with no modifications. Comes with a removable splitter.

3. Thanks for your reply Peter. So you can even easily remove it without having to unbolt down in the machine? Okay I see the photo on Amazon of the Delta Unigard. Huge advantage being able to have it get out of the way if desired. It is a $370 or thereabouts item. The Guard splitter assy that came with my saw is available online for almost $500 and is uniquely designed to work with the saw. If I was using the AccuFence that came with my saw using it would not be a problem, but since I converted over to the Incra fence it has a rear rail that gets in the way. I can chop the rail and everything would still work, but I don't want to cut into a rail and find out the guard assy is not a good solution. Does it work well? Anyhow have one on their Powermatic and has some experience with it?
    Last edited by Bob Feeser; 02-22-2018 at 9:25 PM.

When I had my pm66 I didn’t even try to install it for the first few years, but after having it throw (shoot) a board at me I decided to give it a shot. I never did get it lined up to my satisfaction, and I did not like the limited visibility of the blade with the guard. I seem to remember something not too good about it for angle cuts, but I am not sure.

I ended up up buying a biesemeyer splitter and a Excalibur overarm blade guard. The splitter was easy to insert and remove, and the guard swung easily out of the way.

The Delta splitter is really easy to install and remove. The overhead guard I like but others may not. No dust collection. I find it easy to lift, to provide decent protection. The entire system is easy to adjust for various cuts and flips out of the way when needed. I have no real experience with other systems.
    As to cutting the rear rail of the Incra I would not want to do that and is a reason I chose the Delta. I have slid the rails left and right at various times when changing my saw setup. A split rear rail would complicate that. Another reason not to cut the rail would be it would make it tougher to get the Incra fence to slide and glide smoothly.

6. Peter thank you for your reply. This is exactly what I was looking for; the missing link. All I have to do is slide the rear rail sideways and then I can install the PM guard and see how it performs first hand. If I don't like it, I can slide it back into the original position. I had a kickback punch me in the stomach. Fortunately it was a wide flat board. It did leave a tiny scar. I have since learned to not get behind the board when cutting. I am also concerned about losing a finger. I use a Vermont American push stick that works well for me. Recently bought the Micro Jig pushing blocks but unless you are dealing with small pieces of wood it is a waste of time. It is meant for repetitive cuts close to the fence on small pieces.

7. Travis, I had the same thing happen to me. A kickback punched me in the stomach. I stay clear from behind the board now which helps but...

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    I had a PM66 for several years. Used it with the OEM guard and splitter with paws for a few years. Then upgraded to early version Shark, but eventually put the OEM guard back on (OEM guard was on saw the vast majority of years I owned the saw). I had no problem seeing enough through the slots in the sides, I loved how easily the sides of the guard lifted as I pushed the wood through the blade. I especially liked that in making a short trim cut (less than the distance from blade to guard side), the unused side would remain resting on the cast iron table. When angling the blade for a bevel cut, the sides move independently, both remaining resting on the table until the wood started lifting them.

In my opinion, it was a very well designed, well engineered device.

I had a PM 66 at work. I installed the Biesmeyer splitter and a Delta Uniguard.Both worked well, better than the original equipment.
    Rick