Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Doctor's Walnut Oil

John, What type or brand of wax do you like to combine with the walnut oil? Do you heat them up to combine the two into a slurry type paste?

Thanks Mike, cured would that be when I can no longer smell it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nathal View Post
    If the turning is a utility piece, buffing is not worth the time. I usually buff (Beall system) if the piece is an artistic item and I really like the sheen produced and the surface is velvety smooth. If the oil is cured there is no effect on the wheels.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Don Frank View Post
    John, What type or brand of wax do you like to combine with the walnut oil? Do you heat them up to combine the two into a slurry type paste?
    Don, a couple years ago I melted some carnuba and some Mahoney’s walnut oil I had left over. The mix is too heavy on the wax and is too hard, but I nuked some to soften it and soaked a cotton rag. It holds enough to give a very light wax sheen with a bit of heat from the spin of the lathe. I am sure a commercial mix would be be easier to use.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Blair View Post
    Thanks Mike, cured would that be when I can no longer smell it?
    I test curing by putting the piece on a piece of paper. After an hour or so I check to see if it left a ring of oil on the paper. If not, it is cured

Thanks Mike!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nathal View Post
    I test curing by putting the piece on a piece of paper. After an hour or so I check to see if it left a ring of oil on the paper. If not, it is cured
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .