Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How about posting some pics of what you're creating??!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Watkins View Post
    I've been working away at a 0.016" thick 12x18 brass sheet from Hobby Lobby. Today I decided to make a little Arizona pendant. The Arizona text has some depth to it and was done with a auto rotate .02 hatch and about 20 be passes. Cutting took about a minute and the entire pendant measures a little over an inch.

Attachment 379749
    What power laser are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Hale View Post
    What power laser are you using?
    Hi Nick, it's a 30w MOPAfrom RayFine, the specific source I had them install is the JPT YDFLP-30-M6+-L1. It has the highest output of their 30 watt MOPA series.

I attached a picture of one of the color tests I did on the bottom of a stainless tumbler. I'm always learning with it and when something fails I give it a go another time and sometimes find a setting that works. I gave up on a particular leather a few weeks ago but was able to dial it in yesterday.
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. So please don't flame me but this may not have been very difficult to make but when you are faced with a very old cash register where parts are impossible to get, you get the job done and the register open for business.
    gear.jpg

Looks like you have a color laser! : ) What is with the colors?
    Chinese 6040 by NiceCut. Originally 60 Watt upgraded to 150 Watt.....I thought I had pretty much every problem in the book of laser cutting. It turns out that there is a set of books.

Quote Originally Posted by David DiPietro View Post
    So please don't flame me but this may not have been very difficult to make but when you are faced with a very old cash register where parts are impossible to get, you get the job done and the register open for business.
    gear.jpg

Lol, that's awesome. One of the first things I made when I got my Co2 Laser was a gear for my vertical blinds. $0.10 worth of acrylic vs a $80 kit to get one piece is a no brainer. I've got a 3d Printer and the majority of what I've made have been useful widgets and repair items.

@Joseph, do you mean my color grid? It's just one of the test patters I did with my MOPA. I've been working on a few different logos and will post some color things when I get some I can share.

Gears and teeth are more complicated than some might think! Good job!

Yesterday I got one of those "I need these today!!" phone calls, part of which was "but I don't know if you can do these, or hold the tolerance they want?"
    this was the job, etch a black line around a stainless part, some sort of medical tool-
    ft1.jpg
    pretty tiny and tight tolerances to be sure, especially considering the line is to be .012" wide and the laser beam is half that wide!

this was how I did them- I needed a tailstock stop that would serve as the zero-start point, and keep the rod rolling true-
    the rods are only .090" diameter, and where the line is engraved is only .034", less than a mm... any runout and the
    beam will miss the rod! And that did happen a couple of times anyway. This was the only pic I got where the camera
    caught the laser firing. The stop is just a piece of dowel I made from some other job and an aluminum hole cutout with
    a tiny hole start to keep the point steady...
    ft3.jpg

I ended up with 5 good parts and 5 that were out of tolerance.
    ft2.jpg
    They needed only 2 good ones, thankfully!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Awesome, I have their 30w q-switched fiber. I almost upgraded to the MOPA but I cheaped out. I have yet to actually find anything thin enough to cut out. I will have to pick some of that material up and try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Watkins View Post
    Hi Nick, it's a 30w MOPAfrom RayFine, the specific source I had them install is the JPT YDFLP-30-M6+-L1. It has the highest output of their 30 watt MOPA series.

I attached a picture of one of the color tests I did on the bottom of a stainless tumbler. I'm always learning with it and when something fails I give it a go another time and sometimes find a setting that works. I gave up on a particular leather a few weeks ago but was able to dial it in yesterday.

20180304_204330.jpg

This was done on scrap 20mm MDF so some of the cuts from the back side showed through.
    Trying on other media so that I can get yet more detail.
    Chinese 6040 by NiceCut. Originally 60 Watt upgraded to 150 Watt.....I thought I had pretty much every problem in the book of laser cutting. It turns out that there is a set of books.

9. leather corner.jpg

We do picture framing so here's a frame made from 100 year old barnwood with some leather feathers. Feather design is engraved into Delrin then stamped into leather.
    Trotec Speedy 400 100w w/ Rotary attachment
    .................................................. .......................
    For custom framing: Pistorius double miter saw, Bienfang 4468, Inmes IM-5P underpinner, etc.
    For fun: Miller mig welder, Lincoln tig welder, Hypertherm plasma cutter.
    For photography: Phase 1 P65+, Epson 9800, Epson 7900, 3 Shinko dye subs

Now THAT'S cool!

wow that's really nice
    Epilog Helix 50W, Epilog Fusion 40 75W, Tekcel Router, Taylor Hobson Model D & K
    Dalgren 2516i, Epilog Fusion Pro 120W

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Childers View Post
    Do you have any words of wisdom that you would mind departing with? I bought my fiber laser just to do stippling
    Ive been to scared to try it yet!

This Line Issue.jpg
    Unfortunately I work in production, so the most creativity I'm allowed is when I have to tweak a customers company logo
    Epilog Fusion M2 40 Watt CO2 Laser

Yes. Is the color a coating?