Thread: Brighten up your Moffit light

Brighten up your Moffit light

I’ve switch out the incandescent bulb in my Moffit light to a 5” LED spotlight. It is a simple swap that gives off minimal heat and plenty of light. Just screw out the old bulb and replace it with the LED spot. Put the metal grill back on. The spotlight has a thicker lens that a flood and is directional.

DB6176DE-51FF-445A-8A3E-8A18870E5716.jpg
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Good tip, Bob! I don’t have a Moffit light, but I have switched out the bulbs in the two lights I have on my lathe setup as well as most of the bulbs in our house to bright white LED. The difference in quality and quantity of light is substantial. As an added bonus, the LED bulbs are plastic as opposed to glass. They are resistant to breakage.

Left click my name for homepage link.

I haven't used incandescent bulbs in my Moffit lamps for years. I haven't seen an LED light with a spectrum that I like though. Most of them are bright white, and while they are bright, I prefer the spectrums that are more in the grow light or winter therapy light type spectrum. I just see better in that range.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    ....I prefer the spectrums that are more in the grow light or winter therapy light type spectrum. I just see better in that range.

robo hippy
    Reed, there are a LOT of questions I could ask, but I will let the opportunity pass!

Left click my name for homepage link.

John, just remember, “people from Oregon put an unusual light on things”. Maybe it’s something in the air out there
    ?

Well, years ago, I did have an indoor therapy room...... Quit drinking 30 years ago, and quit smoking that evil killer weed 28 years ago... Now it is just sugar and coffee... Now that it has been legal for a couple of years, there is a surplus on the market so prices are going down considerably.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bergstrom View Post
    I’ve switch out the incandescent bulb in my Moffit light to a 5” LED spotlight. It is a simple swap that gives off minimal heat and plenty of light. Just screw out the old bulb and replace it with the LED spot. Put the metal grill back on. The spotlight has a thicker lens that a flood and is directional.

DB6176DE-51FF-445A-8A3E-8A18870E5716.jpg
    Good idea, a lot cooler. I use a CFL in my Moffatt at the bandsaw, one of three lamps. I had to rebuild the switch in the Moffatt once due to cooking from a bright incandescent.

I personally prefer a mix of lamps at the lathe, LED, CFL, and incandescent - it just "feels" more comfortable to me.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Good idea, a lot cooler. I use a CFL in my Moffatt at the bandsaw, one of three lamps. I had to rebuild the switch in the Moffatt once due to cooking from a bright incandescent.

I personally prefer a mix of lamps at the lathe, LED, CFL, and incandescent - it just "feels" more comfortable to me.

JKJ
    yes the switch is susceptible to failure. Mine is hit or miss. It is now pluged into a multy outlet so all my lathe lights come on at once.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bergstrom View Post
    yes the switch is susceptible to failure. Mine is hit or miss. It is now pluged into a multy outlet so all my lathe lights come on at once.
    Ha, I do that too! I wired n outlet to a wall switch by the bandsaw to turn on the three lights at once. At the primary lathe I wired four duplex outlets to a wall switch, two on the wall and two on the ceiling. I think there are eight lamps that come on with that switch. The other lathe has fewer lights but still fairly bright. The tired old eyes need all the help they can get.

lathe_PM_IMG_20160331_18501.jpg lights_IMG_20160811_092917_.jpg

An additional benefit to the LED lights (which I found out by accident) is that if the lense covering the LEDs is broken, the light will still work just fine. Have been using one of the spotlight type bulbs with no lense for at least a year now with no problems.
    The hurrier I goes, the behinder I gets.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilson66 View Post
    An additional benefit to the LED lights (which I found out by accident) ....
    I discovered a problem (also by accident) with a particular LED light: one of my digital calipers started going flaky and the numbers would sometimes jump around. I was about to toss it until I discovered that it worked fine away from the lathe. It got worse the closer it got to one particular LED bulb at my lathe. Replacing that bulb fixed the problem.

JKJ