Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Physics problem: Snow blower & Iphone

wait - don't tell. I'm almost finished....
    math.jpg
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

FWIW, those small snowblowers make removing x-mas lights easy peasy.....

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    wait - don't tell. I'm almost finished....
    math.jpg
    Yikes, I gave up hard math out in the open when I saw this. There are crazy people out there!

cartoon_small_2012-02-07_09-29-50_859.jpg

But I think you're safe anyway. Obvious jibberish math is full of numerical constants instead of symbols. And jar, beard, wise+acre, pores, hill, pi/z-axis?

JKJ

I'm laughing - some very funny posts here. I'm guessing - a long shot - but it is still in our present time/space continuum, aka, Minkowski space.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Murdoch View Post
    I'm laughing - some very funny posts here. I'm guessing - a long shot - but it is still in our present time/space continuum, aka, Minkowski space.
    What I'd like to know is what exactly is a snowblower? I understand the theory and have been told they exist but I've never seen one. Some data on this might help with the estimate.

Growing up in PA our family had a snow shovel so I dutifully bought one when I moved south in the '70s. I'm still waiting to use it.

I knew a guy who moved to TN from Wisconsin and brought his snowmobile along. When I last saw it the coating of dust was about 1/2" thick from sitting for decades.

JKJ

Well now.
    Have you done a aero clearance mod to your second stage impeller? That probably would have given you an extra 10 feet if the arc chute angle was good.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I won't hazard (pun intended) as to how far the phone might have gone. But if it doesn't work after this incident this schematic might provide a clue.

schematic.jpg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    What I'd like to know is what exactly is a snowblower?
    JKJ
    Here's a little one....
    snowblower.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Here's a little one....
    snowblower.jpg
    Ah. I could use one for spreading lime.

That one could probably throw the phone, person, and the horse he rode in on.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    What I'd like to know is what exactly is a snowblower? I understand the theory and have been told they exist but I've never seen one. Some data on this might help with the estimate.

Growing up in PA our family had a snow shovel so I dutifully bought one when I moved south in the '70s. I'm still waiting to use it.

I knew a guy who moved to TN from Wisconsin and brought his snowmobile along. When I last saw it the coating of dust was about 1/2" thick from sitting for decades.

JKJ
    You probably also don't know what a swamp cooler is, which keeps my shop livable in summer.

In as much as he lives in TN, your "swamp" cooler probably wouldn't cool the swamp near where he lives. Explain why one needs a "swamp" cooler in AZ?

(PS... I do know what a swamp cooler is.)
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I'm guessing the phone got chucked 15 feet. If it were my 8hp 2 stage 24" thrower doing the deed, it would have gone 30 feet.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

About 8 years ago I conducted a similar experiment.

Launcher: Toro S-620 (rubber paddle type)
    Projectile: My car keys

Distance: about 10 feet. But they didn't go as far as they could as a hedge was in the way. One key bent. I found them with a metal detector about a week later. Guess I could have waited until spring. 'Course I was taking care of the snow at Mom's house, no good deed goes unpunished.

As far as the phone is concerned, is this just an intellectual exercise or is there a betting pool? Inquiring wags want to know!

-Tom

Those Toro single stage blowers can move some snow and other stuff like roof shingles if you happen to have a corner where snow accumulates on your roof. Guess how I know? My estimate of phone distance is well over 20 feet with a scatter field of about 40 degrees.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

You break the shear pin on the snow thrower/blower. Still.... How far phone goes all depends on how you have your chute set.