Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Physics problem: Snow blower & Iphone

Physics problem: Snow blower & Iphone

So... how far will a snowblower chuck an IPhone?

I've already conducted the experiment...(No. I didn't video tape it...)

Launch apparatus: Single stage Toro with a 2-cycle engine.

Payload description: Iphone 5S with two-piece Otterbox case.

Any guesses?

Bob T.
    "Don't worry. They couldn't possibly hit us from that dist...."

Clearly, it sent it far enough that you'll be at the doorstep of the store to get a new one. Look at the bright side...at least it was a phone that was quite a few generations back and your new one will be, well...new.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Trick question? It hit a tree?

We don't have many snow blowers here in Arkansas but I would be happy to send you my 16 yo daughters iPhone 6 for a test and you can report back on the results.

PS. Would your blower intake be large enough to throw her Mac Air also?
    Last edited by julian abram; 02-22-2018 at 9:56 AM.

Video from the phone during the launch might have been interesting, although short. Perhaps you can repeat the experiment, starting with "Hey, may I borrow your phone for a sec?"

A farmer friend once lost his phone while bailing hay, the big 4' diameter round bales. I found the case but not the phone. I walked the field calling his number at each bale but never heard it ring. Maybe the signal was not too strong 2' inside a bale or maybe the speaker wasn't loud enough. Maybe a cow found it later.

JKJ

Anywhere from 2 to 20 ft depending on snow conditions

No idea.....but, I'll bet it went further than the frozen Sunday paper my 60" 2 stage blower ingested.

Ed

Blog Entries
    It didn't happen if there aren't any photos. My two stage Simplicity has thrown rocks over 30 feet, but I'm not sure a phone would survive the second stage in a single piece.

For the record I would say it went 15 feet.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by julian abram View Post
    We don't have many snow blowers here in Arkansas but I would be happy to send you my 16 yo daughters iPhone 6 for a test and you can report back on the results.

PS. Would your blower intake be large enough to throw her Mac Air also?
    I have 2 sons and a more important question: Would it be considered child abuse to throw a son's phone? (They wouldn't let go of it, so they would, of course, be 'thrown' as well.... )

If it survived, sell the story to Otterbox.

I personally have failed in taking my daughter's phone away from her as she gets quite hostile about it, but I have come up with a new and even better solution. I now turn off her data through our carrier and block her accessing our home wifi as punishment. It is amazing how quickly her attitude and perspective changes when she cannot check snapchat at all time through the day.

I thought about destroying the phone,but somehow I would get stuck buying another.

As for how far with the snowblower, I am going to guess 18 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Porter View Post
    I personally have failed in taking my daughter's phone away from her as she gets quite hostile about it, but I have come up with a new and even better solution. I now turn off her data through our carrier and block her accessing our home wifi ...
    When teens come to the farm to work I have a rule about phones - they get locked in the shop until the work is done. I'm happy to plug the phone into a charger. Otherwise every few minutes I see them standing and staring at the phones instead of working. Girls have been the worst, even 50-year-olds. The boy who comes now doesn't have a phone.

Occasionally one will whine and cry and have lots of reasons, "What if my mother needs to reach me??!" She can call me. After the rules are clear and the initial drama has passed there has been no problem.

Blog Entries
    We have the same rule at Habitat work sites. No phones in the work area except for lunch and breaks.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

The suspense!!! Tell us Bob, how far did it go?

I’m going with 13 feet.

BTW - Forgot to mention...the launch apparatus had some pre-test issues which required some repair work.

FOR SALE! One 12 ga. extension cord - approx 46 feet in length - missing both plug ends. CHEAP!
    "Don't worry. They couldn't possibly hit us from that dist...."