Thread: NE Spalted BLM Burl HF

NE Spalted BLM Burl HF

Just recently finish this piece. I got it a couple of years ago from a friend that was moving and getting out of turning. The top was natural edge and it took me awhile to figure out what I wanted to do with it. So this is what I ended up with. It is 10"H x 71/4"W. C&C welcomed.
    WT1620-1.jpg

Nice form and a great piece of wood!!!

Beautiful work Steve! Great form and I really like the natural edge opening! Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Beautiful turning. I love the live edge opening and the form overall. Stunning piece of wood too!

Certainly a very sweet looking piece of timber Steve. Can't see the thickness of the top but suppose you jam chucked it to finish the bottom. With the irregular surface at the opening, any issues with getting it to run true? Did you need to wrap the neck on the outside?
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Love everything about this one. Nice work!
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Oh wow!!! Beautiful piece I like everything about it.

Thanks everyone for the comments. I have been working hard on my form and especially with getting the foot smaller.

David, I have attached a photo (sorry about the quality) of a top view of the turning. I left the lip thick so that you could see more of the natural edge. The lip is 1/2" thick but the wall thickness is 1/4". As far as the reverse chucking process, I used the Rubber Ducky jam check. It has an aluminum shaft that I was able to get all the way to the bottom of the turning for support against the tail stock. That way, I did not have to put a lot of pressure on the natural edge to hold it in place as I trimmed the foot off.
    IMG_0730.jpg

Thanks for the explanation Steve. From the side, it didn't look like you had that much meat to work with. I have the same rubber chucky product also and it's worked well for what I needed it to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Doerr View Post
    Thanks everyone for the comments. I have been working hard on my form and especially with getting the foot smaller.

David, I have attached a photo (sorry about the quality) of a top view of the turning. I left the lip thick so that you could see more of the natural edge. The lip is 1/2" thick but the wall thickness is 1/4". As far as the reverse chucking process, I used the Rubber Ducky jam check. It has an aluminum shaft that I was able to get all the way to the bottom of the turning for support against the tail stock. That way, I did not have to put a lot of pressure on the natural edge to hold it in place as I trimmed the foot off.
    IMG_0730.jpg
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Very impressive work here. Would love to get to that point someday.

I’m totally jealous. Beautiful!
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Blog Entries
    Pure class, Steve.
    From the side it gives little evidence it's hollowed. I love that.

Wow--perfect yeah.