Thread: Thoughts on using 2" PVC ball valves as blast gates?

Thoughts on using 2" PVC ball valves as blast gates?

I'm using 2.5" dust collection in my small shop and I liked the idea of using some PVC ball valves for blast gates -- I just like the clean look of them and the sealed fitting versus the plastic or aluminum blast gates.

20467psku.jpg

However, when I checked them out at the big box store, I found every single one they had in stock virtually impossible to open/close -- they were far too stiff.

Does anyone here use them? Thoughts?

I use them in a cnc vacuum clamping manifold i built. Once they are held by pipe you can turn them in my experience.

Too small.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

I have a feeling they would get jammed up too.

5. I haven't used them for that purpose, but I have been disillusioned with the cheaper plastic gates I have used. My solution was to make a wooden manifold with built in wooden gates close to my chip separater. It seems to have completely eliminated the clogging and jamming issues. I think that having the gates oriented so the flow through them is downward helps. Doing that may also help for your ball valves.

I'd suggest trying one ball valve for a while as a proof of concept before building the whole setup.

For all of my uses, they'd be too small. I have a 6" trunk line with a few 4" and 6" ports coming off of it. A 2" opening has 1/4 the open area of a 4" opening-- and I could make that work on my small CNC machine, but it's unfortunately not going to cut it on any of the other equipment.

Depending on the size of your ducting, I've seen guys use dampers instead of blast gates. I'd imagine they don't seal nearly as well, but everything is contained in the duct with only a small handle/level on the outside.
    Licensed Professional Engineer,
    Unlicensed Semi Professional Tinkerer

look into the gate valves used on sewer lines for trailers. I think they are 3" or 4" diameter.
    BILL D

Ball valves work well provided they are well supported and correctly sized. Don't drop down in diameter from your ducting. They don't clog, they don't jam until they are worn beyond recognition and they are wear resistant provided they are fully open. The quickest way to wreck a ball valve in an abrasive environment is to part open them. The ball gets damaged. Fully open the ball is fully protected. Cheers

Make your own, I made a bunch of these in 4 and 6 inch. Was easy and cheap.

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/p...wn-blast-gates

You'd be taking 20% of the diameter away from your already-too-small collection system.

Jay

That's actually not a bad idea. I think that 2" is sort of small, and would probably upsize them, so that the ID's were as close as I could get them.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I have a very good dust system set up with a shop vac in my shop. The ball valves work very well and will loosen up over time. I have used my band sander to soften the edges of the housing to let the ball turn easier. Never any problem on my planer, bandsaw or grinder.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Alvarez View Post
    You'd be taking 20% of the diameter away from your already-too-small collection system.
    they will reduce the area of the air flow down to 64% of 2.5.

I was shocked when I realized that a 14 inch roof vent has 50% more area the a 12'" I assume the air moved is about that same ratio as well.
    Bil lD

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    they will reduce the area of the air flow down to 64% of 2.5.

I was shocked when I realized that a 14 inch roof vent has 50% more area the a 12'" I assume the air moved is about that same ratio as well.
    Bil lD

Excellent math-and very convincing!

This, combined with the repeated stories of difficulties opening/closing these ball valves, I'm going to opt for aluminum blast gates instead.

If I could find 2-1/2" ball valves for a reasonable price, I might be inclined to try, but those have proven elusive. 2" valves are readily available online for only $7 or so; but going up to 2-1/2" proves cost-prohibitive--the cheapest 2-1/2" PVC ball valve I can find online or elsewhere is at least $30!

Instead, I'll be sticking with the 2-1/2" aluminum gates (like the one below) which are available on amazon for under $8.

I still really like the clean look and functionality of a PVC ball valve, in theory, but the problems above simply overwhelm the aesthetic appeal.

Thanks everyone for the input; I appreciate it.

gate.jpeg

Once you are set up with a hole jig for a router, making a blast gate is pretty quick. I used gorilla glue to glue in short stubs of pipe on each side. I made some from scraps of cherry and they do look nice. Remember the slider only has to seal on one side. I even round over the inside of then pvc on the end.
    Bill