Thread: Used Powermatic 8" Parallelogram Jointer - value?

Used Powermatic 8" Parallelogram Jointer - value?

I will be looking at a used 8 in. single phase 230V, 2 hp Parallelogram Jointer with regular knives tomorrow.

The machine is likely ~15 years old but not sure. I know it likely needs new knives and a tune up. It appeared to be in decent shape when I saw it several months ago.

What is a used machine like this worth these days in terms of percentage of the cost of a new one.

Without seeing pictures I’d say $800. That’s what I sold my Shop Fox 8” parallelogram jointer for last year, which is likely the same machine essentially, and about the same age. I wouldn't pay more for a paint color!

Paid a thousand Cdn. for my 8" Poitras a few years ago. Was in super shape with sharp knives.

Prince Edward Island, Canada's Ocean Playground
    Condition is everything with a used machine, but Powermatic is a good name so that may raise interest more than if it were a generic Asian jointer.

I bought a used Brazilian made Delta Invicta DJ20 several years ago and paid $700 but where I live quality used tools are less common than many other places.

Bring a good straight edge and hopefuly you can see it run. Surface rust is easily removed and while staining is annoying to look at it will have no impact on use. I want absolutely flat, parallel tables in a jointer, they don’t need to be shiny.

You might need a set of bearings depending on the amount of use it has seen but they are easily changed. If the seller is providing additional knives that is always a bonus.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Erik

Canada's Atlantic Paradise - Prince Edward Island

The first four digits of the serial number should give you the manufacture date as YYMM.
    A month ago I paid $1300 for a 2012 PJ-882 with the helical head. Not the best deal but I'm happy with it. I replaced the bearings and cleaned the tables up and it is perfect now.
    That $1300 works out to 36% of full retail and 42% of the street price of a new one.
    Last edited by Roger Bull; 02-22-2018 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Bull View Post
    The first four digits of the serial number should give you the manufacture date as YYMM.
    A month ago I paid $1300 for a 2012 PJ-882 with the helical head. Not the best deal but I'm happy with it. I replaced the bearings and cleaned the tables up and it is perfect now.
    That $1300 works out to 36% of full retail and 42% of the street price of a new one.
    Thanks Roger, it was made in July 2007 in Taiwan. It has knives, not Byrd head.

I bought it for $500 and it is good shape. It had some surface rust on the bed and fence but nothing that some Scotchbrite Ultrafine under a sanding block with mneral spirits didn't solve. I am evaluating moving to a Byrd head now.

Not a bad price at all. Congrats!

I noticed you have another thread going about helical cutterheads. Lots of opinions so I'll just throw this out there. You can put a Powermatic (Byrd) helical head in that machine for about $750 if you are willing to order the parts separately. The base cutterhead currently runs $588. The bearings about $25 for two. Good German made cutters are $27 per box of 10 (you will need 6 boxes) and the correct screws are relatively inexpensive. I can PM you links if needed.

Also, you probably noticed that in the Wood Whisperer video about upgrading to a helical head he is upgrading a PJ-882.

I noticed you have another thread going about helical cutterheads. Lots of opinions so I'll just throw this out there. You can put a Powermatic (Byrd) helical head in that machine for about $750 if you are willing to order the parts separately. The base cutterhead currently runs $588. The bearings about $25 for two. Good German made cutters are $27 per box of 10 (you will need 6 boxes) and the correct screws are relatively inexpensive. I can PM you links if needed.

Also, you probably noticed that in the Wood Whisperer video about upgrading to a helical head he is upgrading a PJ-882.
    I have been researching sources for the Byrd head. Yes, I'd like to have the links for a benchmark. Thanks

Not sure if I can post links to purchase items so will send PM.

Why buy the cutters separate? Doesn't Byrd provide cutters when you buy the head?
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Yes, Byrd sells the head with cutters installed. However, the cutters are a maintenance item and its good to have a few sources for them.

Here's the head coming out of the shipping carton with inserts installed by Byrd.

mean machine.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Manchester View Post
    Condition is everything with a used machine, but Powermatic is a good name so that may raise interest more than if it were a generic Asian jointer.
    These days Powermatic is a generic Asian jointer. Same machine as grizzly or Shop Fox etc. People do pay more for the paint color though for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    These days Powermatic is a generic Asian jointer. Same machine as grizzly or Shop Fox etc. People do pay more for the paint color though for some reason.
    Yes, the PM is made in Asia.

I own and have in the shop both a Grizzly and a PM 8" jointer at the moment. Not knocking the Grizzly but if you do a side by side, they are not the same.

Those giving up their hard earned cash get to decide if the PM premium over the Grizzly cost is worth it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sanford View Post
    Why buy the cutters separate? Doesn't Byrd provide cutters when you buy the head?
    I wasn't sure if the Byrd head came with the cutters. Mine was a HH from the start. Alan got a great price for the cutterhead and bearings.