Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Had an Ooops in the shop Monday

I don't care for the pork chop guard and am keenly aware of the blade. When I use the power feeder for my jointer it prevents the use of the pork chop guard. I want a suvamtic guard bad but at $2k it costs 3x as much as I paid for the jointer new.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Whitesell View Post
    I don't care for the pork chop guard and am keenly aware of the blade. When I use the power feeder for my jointer it prevents the use of the pork chop guard. I want a suvamtic guard bad but at $2k it costs 3x as much as I paid for the jointer new.
    Could you post a pic of the power feeder for your jointer?
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    Could you post a pic of the power feeder for your jointer?
    Jointing 1.jpg

I just swing the feeder around from the saw/shaper.

Some jointers have a spot for a feeder bracket on them.........Rod.

Thanks Rod
    George

This is how I have the power feeder mounted on my Grizzly G0490.

I added a 1/2" L-shaped steel plate between the Jointer and the base, then used the 4" tubes to make a modular, adjustable height and position system. I have since changed the lower tube to a pair of 2x6 tubes, to lower the feeder mounting base while also moving the base closer to the jointer bed.

Took off the end of a finger on a jointer. Had a small jointer for site work, 4", and one of the guys for some unexplained reason took off the back guard. I used to drape my finger over the fence to hold it tight to the fence, and then one day "Bam". They reconstructed mine, but it still was not fun.

Best to you and love your attitude!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hennebury View Post
    ......I don't use a guard, never have, don't feel safe with them, I don't use Rod Sheridans rule about staying away from the blade either...... I guess that you have to develop methods that work for you and ones that you are comfortable with.
    Hopefully George and anyone reading this has enough sense not to work this way.

No easy way to put it you're living on borrowed time.

And BTW I'm typing with a bandage on my finger to say after 30+ yrs of ww'ing and I had a little mishap Friday. Didn't require ER or anything, but it was a "reminder".

Not because I wasn't following safety procedures, either, it was a lack of concentration doing a repetitive procedure.

ANYTIME you are guiding wood with your hands instead of a push block or other aid, and not using guards when require, something is bound to happen eventually.
    Last edited by Robert Engel; 02-26-2018 at 9:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    Hopefully George and anyone reading this has enough sense not to work this way.
    I do not work without the guard on the jointer. I do however not use a guard on the table saw. I do use push sticks/blocks, Micro Jig Gripppers and feather boards. I do use push blocks, Micro Jig Gripper blocks, when face jointing but have not figured out how to use a push block of some sort when edge jointing which is what I was doing when the accident happened, It was a finger dangling over the edge of the board when edge jointing a narrow piece
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 02-26-2018 at 10:00 AM. Reason: fixed quote tagging
    George

Blog Entries
    Will a power feeder deflect thin stock? I've never used one but I'm curious.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

What do you mean by deflect?

The power setup on my machine is in place of where your grippers would be, just after the blade on the outfeed table. I do not use it for all jobs due to the combination of the problem with guard and the time it take to set it up just right. I primarily installed it to help feed the longer stock from my sawmill. It can be trying when attempting to joint a 8-10-12' long piece and it keeps trying to lift the front edge up and catching on the leading edge of the infeed table.

Blog Entries
    It would push a cupped board down toward the table I assume? It seems like something best used on a jointer near the last few passes, but I could be wrong. A cupped board is going to have a hole in the center of it for a few passes until it begins to clean up.

I had wanted to outfit my jointer with a power feeder, but in actually doing the work is seems like it would not be especially useful until the final passes on everything except heavy material.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

The typical face jointing technique is hand over hand pushing the stock down and from the outfeed table. The same issue exists whether you do it by hand or with a power feeder.

Blog Entries
    I almost cut the end of my left thumb off on my contractor's saw one Sunday afternoon. I was home by myself and I wrapped my hand in a towel then drove to the emergency room.
    I walked in to the ER, a doctor saw me come in. He took me to a table and reattached it. Since that time, I keep a plywood push stick at the saw. That was at least 20 years ago and
    I still feel a bit of numbness in that thumb.

Blog Entries
    A few years back I took the tip of my left index finger off at the jointer, wiping dust off the in-feed table before a final pass. I still don't know if the pork chop didn't swing back into place or if I pushed pushed through it. I didn't quite get to bone but lost about 1/8". It felt like I waked it with a hammer. Worst part was getting it washed out at the ER and and then paying the bill.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    It would push a cupped board down toward the table I assume? It seems like something best used on a jointer near the last few passes, but I could be wrong. A cupped board is going to have a hole in the center of it for a few passes until it begins to clean up.

I had wanted to outfit my jointer with a power feeder, but in actually doing the work is seems like it would not be especially useful until the final passes on everything except heavy material.
    Brian, Like Andrew said; you put the power feeder on the outfeed table, where your lumber has a machined flat surface and the power feeder keeps it on the registered flat surface of the table, you could " theoretically" remove the infeed table once the front of your stock has passed over the cutter and is resting on the outfeed table. The power feeder will pull your stock over the cutterhead perfectly flat, without any interference from the infeed table. The infeed table really is only to present your wood to the cutterhead at the beginning of the operation, and to offer support if your stock is long and flexible.