Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Had an Ooops in the shop Monday

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Wish I could find something cute to say other than ouch. I use this to edge joint skinny pieces:
    For face planing I always use the same push block as the table saw.

You will probably lose feeling in the end of that finger, but fortunately it isn't a feeler digit.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    For face planing I always use the same push block as the table saw.

You will probably lose feeling in the end of that finger, but fortunately it isn't a feeler digit.
    For face planning I use Micro Jig Grrp-Rip Block.

https://www.microjig.com/products/grr-rip-block

George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Another reason not to hold your pinkie out when you drink.

Not to make too much light of it. I let one of my fingers get nipped in a similar accident (not on a jointer), but I just ended up with a little taper on the tip. Since then I am very conscious about the position of all my fingers. None of that pinkie-out, thumb splayed, etc. stuff when holding anything.
    Last edited by Bob Bouis; 02-22-2018 at 11:03 AM.

Last night I was reminded that drinking and woodworker don't go together. I spilled a nearly full Guinness all over the project, my cigar, and the cyclone. After wiping the tears I found it was my last one and had to switch to an IPA.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Edge Jointing barrow pieces is always tough. Any suggested practices? A power feeder would be one, but impractical for most.
    1) never place your hands within a certain distance of the cutter. Perhaps paint a red area 4 inches above, ahead and behind the cutter on the top of the fence. I used red electrical tape.

2) if your fence is tall enough, as it is on my jointer, I hook a couple of fingers over the top of the jointer so my fingers can't reach the cutter, and I always follow rule #1.

3) change to a bridge guard, use proper hand over guard technique so that in the event of a kickback your hand can't drop into the cutter. Now, this won't work for commercial applications as OSHA requires a spring operated guard. In that case use a Suvamatic type.

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    Little accident on the joiner. Kinda amputated the tip of the pinkie finger. Didn't hurt and still dosen't. Took off some bone almost to the first knuckle. Couple of stitches and now I can be called "Stumpy Finger."
    Glad to hear you have your sense of humour intact and that you weren't more seriously injured.

Hope you heal well................Regards, Rod.

Ouch!!
    My old high school shop teacher felt the jointer was the most dangerous tool in the shop.

Glad to hear it wasn't more serious.

If it was your wiping hand........the fun has just begun. Until the bandages come off.
    Been there/done that...hated it!
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I've only cut myself once (so far) in the shop and that was on a jointer. I was lucky it only got the skin on my pinky, but right to the bone as clean as could be. Side of that digit still has a flat spot on it. Since, I always use push blocks with all fingers inside the handles. It happens in a split second. Glad it wasn't worse.

Sorry to hear about your accident. It should keep you on your toes for a good long time. Accidents can happen to us all at any time.

About 30 years ago a plastic surgeon told me that a woodworker filleted most of the bones out of his hand when a board he was pushing over the jointer got stuck and his hand went palm down across the cutterhead. I try to keep this in mind when working on the jointer. I don't use a guard, never have, don't feel safe with them, I don't use Rod Sheridans rule about staying away from the blade either, I am however cognizant of the dangers, and follow some precautions, such as rolling my sleeves up and rolling my fingers up when dressing wood on edge, also i place my thumb on top of the board as you hand can easily slide down the vertical face of a smooth board as you go over the blade. When dressing the face i wont put my hand close to the front edge of the board either. I will use push sticks on occasion but not as a general rule. I also on occasion work from both ends of the jointer. I guess that you have to develop methods that work for you and ones that you are comfortable with.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    If it was your wiping hand........the fun has just begun. Until the bandages come off.
    Been there/done that...hated it!
    Not my wiping hand.
    George

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Alvarez View Post
    Last night I was reminded that drinking and woodworker don't go together. I spilled a nearly full Guinness all over the project, my cigar, and the cyclone. After wiping the tears I found it was my last one and had to switch to an IPA.
    Lol, that’s funny.

Good lord - not the cigar??? And I've no shop accidents yet, (lots of job site accidents - try falling out of a tree with a running chain saw) but I did contribute the tip of my index finger to a pot of chili I was making. I figured don't ask - don't tell was the correct way to go.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Demonstrating once again that life is a humbling experience. Hope you heal up quickly.

Hope you heal quick. Glad it was not worse.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.
    George