Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phase Converter Options

Phase Converter Options

Hi All,

I am setting up a 3 phase Powermatic 160 and intend on adding other 3 phase equipment down the line. After some thinking and research I've settled on a RPC and have found two options promising options for second hand phase converters. Both support up to 5 HP motors and have similar price points

The options are:
    Ronk 2P 92, 10 kva motor: http://www.ronkelectrical.com/rotocon-type-2p.php
    American Rotary AR, 7.5HP: https://www.americanrotary.com/produ.../ar-pro-series

Does anyone have any opinions on which would be a better choice? Or am I better off just spending a bit more and getting a new one? Mind, this is for a hobby shop, so I'm less worried about time than I am money.

-Dan

I searched the site for powermatic 160 and found a good discussion but I still do not know exactly what kind of tool it is. Sounds big and heavy.
    I recommend a VFD for a drill press, sander or lathe. Maybe a bandsaw as well.
    For a table saw, jointer, or planer a rotary converter may be practical if bought used. Unless you go over 5HP a VFD for each machine may be cheaper.
    Of course it depends where in the world you live and what kinds of used three phase tools you can buy cheaper then single phase. Seems to be mostly North America that does not have 3 phase in a home shop. No idea about south america.
    Bill D.

PS: look at the cost of shipping a vfd vs a rotary with a heavy motor.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 02-21-2018 at 8:09 PM.

Blog Entries
    Rotary was "free" to ship from AR if I remember correctly, but something to consider is that if you do a rotary converter you need to add in the cost of a three phase breaker or three phase panel and breakers. I was not counting that in my initial assessment but overall I'm very happy with the rotary phase converter.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I searched the site for powermatic 160 and found a good discussion but I still do not know exactly what kind of tool it is. Sounds big and heavy.
    I recommend a VFD for a drill press, sander or lathe. Maybe a bandsaw as well.
    For a table saw, jointer, or planer a rotary converter may be practical if bought used. Unless you go over 5HP a VFD for each machine may be cheaper.
    Of course it depends where in the world you live and what kinds of used three phase tools you can buy cheaper then single phase. Seems to be mostly North America that does not have 3 phase in a home shop. No idea about south america.
    Bill D.

PS: look at the cost of shipping a vfd vs a rotary with a heavy motor.
    I should have remembered to mention what type of machine it is. Its a 16" planer with a 5hp direct drive motor. I expect to eventually add a 3phase jointer in the 3-5hp range and likely a 3ph table saw. I am in north america and I am pretty interested in older machines for aesthetic and quality reasons. 3phase on the used market does tend to be cheaper.

I should mention that both options are available used within an hours drive of me at prices comparable to a 5HP VFD, so shipping is not really a concern and I'm not so interested in a VFD for that reason: 5HP ones kinda suck in terms of price. Both of these companies are actually within a few hours of me as well, so if I shipping becomes an issue I can just drive out there as well. Its interesting that all three stateside RPC vendors I found are in Wisconsin or Illinois

Blog Entries
    I have a 5HP American Rotary, after much debate myself on the topic and I'm super happy with it. The tech guys are wonderful and answered my dumb questions and the machine is quiet....and I mean quiet. I can honestly forget that it is on if anything else is running like the DC or the machine it powers (which is also fairly quiet).
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I've been running my woodworking shop for 20+ years on a kinda phase converter my dad showed me how to build cheap. Some say you'll have trouble from the dirty leg but its never been a problem for me. I attached a simple drawing below but I suggest you discuss it with someone who has electrical experience if you don't.

List of machines I run on it,
    2003 Altendorf F45, 7.5hp 220v 3ph main motor and 1.5hp 220v 3ph scoring motor
    12" Rockwell table saw, 7.5hp 220v 3ph
    20" General bandsaw, 3hp 220v 3ph
    20" General planer, 7.5hp 220v 3ph
    General shaper 1 1/4" spindle, 5hp 220v 3ph
    12" Wadkin jointer 5hp 220v 3ph
    Harrision 12" swing L6 metal lathe, 2 hp 220v 3ph
    Maho MH600P milling machine, 5hp 220v 3ph

First you'll need an appropriately sized single phase breaker for your electrical panel. Mine is 60amp.
    Second you need a 220v 3ph motor with a low rpm, rpm doesn't matter however its easier to start the lower rpm motor. Mine is a 10 hp 220v 3ph 720 rpm
    Third you need a manual throw switch that can carry the current load. Mine is a Square D 60amp.
    Fourth you'll need a 3ph electrical add-on panel to connect the machines through appropriately sized breakers. Mine is a Square D extension panel.
    Once you have everything, connect your manual throw switch to your electrical panel through the breaker using appropriately sized wire. Then from the manual throw switch connect properly sized wire to leads L1, L2 of your motors L1, L2, L3. Again connect properly 3ph properly sized wire to the L1, L2, L3 of your motor then connect it to your 3ph electrical add-on panel. From that you can connect all your 220v 3ph machines.

Phase converter.jpg

Sorry I neglected to say I've been starting mine with a pull cord all along.

I think I have settled on the American Rotary, so long as everything looks good with it when I go look at it tomorrow

If that planer has a separate drive motor you may want to use a vfd to supply just that motor to give you variable feed rate.
    The delta 18" wedge bed planer is famous for needing a gearbox rebuild for the feed motor. Many find it cheaper to replace the entire feed drive system with a vfd, 3 phase motor, and a modern gearbox. Just the two gears cost about $500 and it may need bearings etc.
    Bill

American Rotary is a good brand, so you won't go wrong there. Personally I would get one that is at least 50% larger than your biggest load.

In your situation I would suggest that you install a 3 phase load center, and feed the LC with your RPC. That way you can have proper circuit protection on all of your equipment and it can all be hard wired.

I have a lot of 240 and 480 3 phase equipment in my shop, powered by a 400 HP generator with the option of using a 30 hp RPC for my 240 needs.

I'm not sure your comparable are apples to apples. Both the Ronk and AM need to be doubled to properly be sized so a 10 hp starts a 5. Personally I would buy for at least a 7.5 hp start as you will find lots of machines with larger than 5 hp motors. Kay and Arco are sized differently so when comparing a 5 hp Kay = a 10 hp AM. Dave

American Rotary is one of the best...

David Kumm where did you get that info that the AM must be doubled?

I remember looking at American Rotary converters. 10hp to start a 5hp jointer was recommended. Something to do with the Frame sized of the motor.
    Kay's converters are larger frame and sized differently. They also claim to be the quietest. Mine is very quite and heavy.