Thread: Dent and Scratch (Powermatic) lathe purchase question

Dent and Scratch (Powermatic) lathe purchase question

I did really well at four craft fairs last fall/winter (helping my neighbor, he lets me take a few things) so I have saved up some money. I saw a Powermatic 3520C for sale today. Its brand new but considered a dent and scratch unit. There are some areas where the paint is off and the sales person said that the tail stock had to be replaced because it was broken. It almost sounds like it had been dropped but everything else looks good, tail stock lines up with the headstock, all accessories are there and the motor turns on. Its being sold at 25% off retail, after sales tax it comes to 20% off retail price. The only thing is that instead of a five year warranty it only has a 90 day warranty. The few 3520bs that I see for sale are about the same price ($3200 plus or minus) and they don't have a warranty either. So I'm curious if this is a wise thing to buy, or is it better to keep saving and get one at a higher price but with a warranty. I'm going to the Portland Symposium, I've never been before and wonder if they'll have 'show pricing'. And since Oregon doesn't have sales tax, if Powermatic were to offer a 15% discount at the symposium then its only a $200 difference and I can sell a few things for that. And the good news is there is a club member that wants to buy my Jet lathe so the difference to get into the Powermatic isn't too terribly much (thank goodness for good sales at the craft fair).

Anyway, enough rambling, just wondering your thoughts. New Powermatic with blemishes and no warranty at a 25% discount, or wait for a 10% or 15% off sale with a warranty.

I should mention that I'm completely satisfied with my Jet. I've turned to the maximum 16" diameter and have some wood where I could go bigger if I wanted. I've started coring with a friend's Oneway coring system, on his powermatic there is enough umph where as on the Jet it works, just slow going. I love turning on the Jet and it does most everything I can ask from it. I love turning on the Powermatic every month at the club even even more.
    Thanks for your feedback.

90 day warranty @ 25% off vs 5 year warranty @15% off = wait till 15% off sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Miner View Post
    90 day warranty @ 25% off vs 5 year warranty @15% off = wait till 15% off sale.
    Thank you for your reply. I was thinking the same thing at 15% off but I can't remember if Powermatic has ever had a 15% off sale, I remember 10% once or twice a year, so at that it would be $4000 with a 5 year warranty (and way out of my budget) or $3300 with a 90 day warranty, and tight on the budget if I sell my Jet. So now that I write that it seems to make more sense to keep saving and spend a little more. Thanks again.

My PM3520B will be five years old nest month and the only thing I have replaced under warranty is the power switch. The switch is $75.00 if you have to pay for it. I doubt you would go wrong either wayl
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Belknap View Post
    My PM3520B will be five years old nest month and the only thing I have replaced under warranty is the power switch. The switch is $75.00 if you have to pay for it. I doubt you would go wrong either wayl
    Thank you Fred for your input. Its tempting but I think that as much as I really enjoy turning on a Powermatic at the monthly open turning event my Jet really does everything I need it to, though at times a little slower. I think this time I'll pass and will keep my savings for things I really need. Doesn't mean I won't change my mind down the road. Appreciate the input.

Contact the AAW and see if you can buy a lathe that they will demo on. Also contact Powermatic many times they sale the floor models. I know Robust does.

The bearings on my 3520B went bad due to debris left in the motor at 18 months. I'd want the 5-year warranty. I'm surprised they won't offer a new warranty on the machine.

Mike

Who is selling this? If Powermatic or one of their dealers is selling this with no warranty, I wonder what they know that they aren't telling you?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

David, when you do your pricing analysis, don't forget about your home state's use tax. Buying a lathe at the AAW symposium in Portland this year at a show price would not exempt you from self-reporting and paying use tax in Washington, equal to state and local sales tax. That's so regardless of whether you buy a demo model and bring it home yourself, or buy a new lathe for later delivery. In fact, if the vendor has a tax nexus in your home state, they'll be obligated to collect and remit Washington sales tax if to be delivered there.

It's easy to forget about use tax, and last I checked, all states with a sales tax also have a use tax. This can end up surprising a lot of folks, as I've never heard of an out-of-state retailer volunteering it to the buyer when taking the order! If the delivery is via truck freight, as heavy machinery usually is, it's not hard for the state revenuers to trace. The interstate carriers typically cooperate with the states by routinely providing destination and value data from the shipping manifests. So the first time a lot of law-abiding taxpayers find out they owe tax on the machinery is two or three years later, when they get a tax bill, including interest and penalties!