Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marking on dark wood?

Marking on dark wood?

On light-colored wood, I make marks with a lead pencil. (.7 mm automatic pencil to be exact) The pencil line is fine enough for accuracy, is dark enough to be easily seen, and the pencil draws a long time without needing sharpening. And the pencil marks can be erased.

On dark-colored wood like walnut, the dark line of the pencil isn't as visible as I want. I've tried light-colored leads for the .7 mm pencil, but they break all the time. I've tried white chalk, but the line is way too thick. I've tried a white pencil -- the kind with cedar holding the lead -- but it needs sharpening all the time.

Anybody got a suggestion?

Try putting some tape along the cut line and draw your line on the tape.
    "A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths."
    -Steven Wright.

Blog Entries
    I use white pencil. I also use white ink to sign dark pieces.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Miller View Post
    Try putting some tape along the cut line and draw your line on the tape.
    That is what I do.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I use these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Have to sharpen them sooner than normal pencils, but I sharpen those a lot anyway. Hate dull pencils.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    I use these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Have to sharpen them sooner than normal pencils, but I sharpen those a lot anyway. Hate dull pencils.
    I use the same. Tape like someone suggested is a good idea. Not sure why I didn't think of that. lol

I've been doing a lot of my marking with a red pencil as of late.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

For a fine visible line, apply tape, slice the line with a knife and remove the tape on the waste side. I use this all the time for scribing.

Alternatively, mark with a knife and rub chalk into the scored line. This works well for inlay pockets.
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 02-20-2018 at 10:54 PM.

Look also at your task lighting. Tape is excellent but gets tedious. I was amazed at how well a pencil shows up on walnut under bright, direct led lighting.

Blog Entries
    Like Glenn, I use a white pencil.

Silver Sharpie.

Use a darker lead pencil. I generally use 2H pencils but pick one with a darker than average colour. However, the real solution is good lighting and regular visits to the optometrist. I have worn glasses for over 50 years now and I still get a surprise at how clearly I see with new glasses. Lack of overspray spots and grinding spark damage is part of the improvement. Cheers

I wouldnt use tape, depending on which tape and finish you apply, glue residue from tape can be a pain to deal with.

I use a red/white pencil or a knife

If you have a local welders supply, they sell a silver soft lead pencil that is used by welders. It works great on woods like walnut and mahogany. Shows up very well, and a box of 10 (lifetime supply) is about $5.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Look also at your task lighting. Tape is excellent but gets tedious. I was amazed at how well a pencil shows up on walnut under bright, direct led lighting.
    I'm thinking along the same lines. I work with eastern forest sourced Black walnut ... which tends to be quite light in color. For me a pencil works fine, though I just added that "white charcoal" pencil to my cart at Amazon. I "engineered" my shop lighting for 1500-2000 lux ... lumens/sq meter. As the photo I think illustrates, the pencil line is visible on Black walnut.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius