Thread: Rocks in burl wood!! How to avoid hitting this?

Rocks in burl wood!! How to avoid hitting this?

Hello all! My woodturning journey is progressing quite enjoyably and quickly. I have managed to get my hands on some Rhododendron burl. It is a root burl. Definitely rocks grown into it. I have already managed to hit some rock with my chainsaw, and with my bandsaw while milling up some walnut blanks (the chunk was close to the base of the tree).

Is there any way to avoid these rocks? I am not using the wood out of desperation, as I have plenty of un-sketchy full logs to turn with. I am mainly interested in the figure these chunks have to offer.

Thanks,
    Warm regards,
    Hank

the only thought I have is to go with a fine probe and feel for rocks ,turn when you clear some wood then probe again and work the rocks out as you go. good luck take your time hopefully the rocks will not be in the sidewall badly, there is always a price to be paid, but sometimes it works out well.

I assume you’ve washed/pressure washed the piece first. That takes care of most of the loose stuff and makes the more hidden rocks a little more visible. As you work with it, a hand saw to take down the smaller pieces will probably expose a few more. There’s always going to be a few that come out of nowhere. Use an old gouge to rough with first - and sharpen as needed.
    Surprise is part of the adventure...

Thank you guys! I will implement these methods. I did hose the log off, but not the burl, as I am not so sure on how not to damage that piece yet. The rock I hit cutting the walnut was way inside the log. As you say "surprise!"

I really like the old gouge idea. I'll look around at the local hardware consignment area and see if there is a cheap old one I can use.

I didn't want to forge ahead if there was a good way to avoid them, but now that you tell me it is random and sometimes unavoidable, I feel much more brave. Funny how that is.

Thanks!

turning roots

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Neufeld View Post
    Hello all! My woodturning journey is progressing quite enjoyably and quickly. I have managed to get my hands on some Rhododendron burl. It is a root burl. Definitely rocks grown into it. I have already managed to hit some rock with my chainsaw, and with my bandsaw while milling up some walnut blanks (the chunk was close to the base of the tree).

Is there any way to avoid these rocks? I am not using the wood out of desperation, as I have plenty of un-sketchy full logs to turn with. I am mainly interested in the figure these chunks have to offer.
    k
    Hank,

I have a pile of Manzanita root burls that have embedded rocks. Unavoidable with turning roots. I just turn until I hit rock, dig it out if possible, then sharpen and continue. Best to use cheaper tools! (or maybe cheap carbide roughing tools) Beautiful wood, though.

Some of the best wood I've ever had was from underground. One huge cherry tree provided big (rock-less) chunks of the most dense and stable cherry I've ever seen. A box elder root "ball" that Lissi Oland gave me is full of a deep red color that apparently doesn't fade like normal box elder.

boxelder_root.jpg

And the Rhododentron roots I have (not burls, though and no rocks) are small but show incredible figure, such as at the bottom of this photo:

small_vessels.jpg

Oh, and if you live anywhere near here drop by and I'll give you an old gouge or two. That's one reason I collect old turning tools when I find them. I could send one but I'm unreliable, er, might not get to it for a while.

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 02-21-2018 at 9:12 AM.

This is why wood turning appealed to me vs. furniture making. The sense of community is incredible. Im in Asheville, NC, John. Sometimes I get out to Knoxville. I would love to visit another fellow turner. Ill be sure to keep you in mind.

Your images are gorgeous. Cherry is my favorite wood so far, but I hate how unstable it is. That root chunk you speak of sounds like gold.

And do not tease me with the Rhodo! I want to turn mine so badly, but will be a couple days before I get to it, as the weather is nice, and I have a 1930's T&G deck that needs love.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Neufeld View Post
    This is why wood turning appealed to me vs. furniture making. The sense of community is incredible. Im in Asheville, NC, John. Sometimes I get out to Knoxville. I would love to visit another fellow turner. Ill be sure to keep you in mind....
    I love shop visitors! You can also take a llama for a walk and take a peacock feather home for the kids or grandkids. If you get this way send me an email and I'll give you the address. I'm here almost all the time.

The cherry root "ball" was so big it took several days to dig out of the ground with the backhoe. I whittled turning blocks off of it with a chainsaw for at least a week. I might still have a piece or two, I'll have to check. I gave the last of the box elder away a few weeks ago and the gentleman made some beautiful ornaments.

JKJ

An alternative solution: Use a "sacrificial" gouge. I have some M42 1/4"stock mounted in galvanized pipe with set screws. I can grind a razor edge on this tool without a worry over a $100 bowl gouge. When you get a final shape, rocks and all, break out the sandpaper.

9. Pressure wash root balls/burls! Even if you have to take it to the car wash!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!