Thread: Metal jaw bench vises - 2 Jaws or use Bench as 2nd Jaw?

Metal jaw bench vises - 2 Jaws or use Bench as 2nd Jaw?

I own the green vise currently which is non-quick release and have the opportunity to buy the red quick-release vise. As you can see the green uses the bench as the back jaw of the vise similar to a leg vise, and the red vise has two metal jaws, one screwed into the side of the bench. I really like the idea of using the bench as the jaw with the green but the red has quick release and a longer opening.

Any good opinions on which would make more sense? Thanks.

IMG_20171005_211136.jpgef6745f988311dc0f44101610211be61.jpg

I've got one of those one-jaw vises, too - a whole $2 at a yard sale, if memory serves. Why I bought it, exactly, when I've got three vises already but only room for one bench...well, I know why. I mean, duh. Two dollars.

I, too, like the concept; something kind of cool about it. But I wonder how well the four lag screws that would hold it in place under the bench will hold up under pressure. The screws would be in shear, and the screw diameters are no doubt enough not to actually shear off the screws; but, depending on the species of wood your bench top is made from, you could have some issues (softer wood more of an issue than harder). But that's pure speculation.

One other point: your possible red vise has a handle already, so you can put it on the bench and go to work without having to futz around finding a handle. And the installation would likely go more quickly, since you wouldn't be spending time making sure the vise jaw was properly aligned with (parallel to) the bench top.

And with quick release and more capacity, well, I think the red one wins, provided it's good and robust.

I don't know anything about anything, but I mounted my quick release proud of the bench and put two wooden jaws on it. I like the room for my fingers between the jaw and the bench.

Use the red'n. If you want it flush, recess the jaw back from the front edge of the bench and put a sacrificial jaw in the fixed part of the red vice, flush with the face of the bench, as well as the moving one. That way when it gets chewed up a little or you want to put a special jaw face in it you can unscrew the wood and add the new ones. Mine isn't flush but there is no right or wrong.

Blog Entries
    Why not use both? One could be the face vise and one could be the tail vise.

The green vise looks to allow the front to be removed. That might be important if you want to be able to switch between having a vise and some times not have a vise in the way.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Johnson View Post
    I don't know anything about anything, but I mounted my quick release proud of the bench and put two wooden jaws on it. I like the room for my fingers between the jaw and the bench.
    There's no right answer here; I prefer to mount the face vise so the front of the jaw - or jaw insert, if I use one - is flush or very slightly proud of the face of the bench top. That way, long boards are held against the face, and vibrate less. Depends, as always, on (a) what kind of work you do, and (b) what floats your boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Why not use both? One could be the face vise and one could be the tail vise.
    I'm going to have a leg vise for the face vise and whichever metal one as a tail vise.

Thanks for the replies all. I'm mulling it over.